UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

wrong txoutclk frequency for my gtx transceiver

Jump to solution

I have an ip core i've generated using the 7 series transceiver wizard. When I go through the wizard I specify 125 MHz as my reference clock frequency. However, when I run the core in hardware I see 156.25 MHz at the txoutclk. I've verified that my input clock is 125 MHz. I have this going through a buffer and then to gtrefclk0_in.

Why is the ip core I've generated changing the txout clk to 156.25 when it should be 125 MHz?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

Re: wrong txoutclk frequency for my gtx transceiver

Jump to solution

Yes, that is correct.

5 Replies
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

Jump to solution

What is the source of your TXOUTCLK?  See page 150 of UG476: there are several sources and different dividers available for TXOUTCLK.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

hmm, not sure I have control over that. When I use the wizard I spec a frequency of 125 MHz and a line rate of 3.125 GHz and it generates a bunch of files. The wrapper I've written to instantiate the <name>_GT module doesn't have any controllable parameters for the pll.

Is the tx_clk output always fixed at 156.25 MHz for some reason?

0 Kudos
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

Jump to solution

No, it is not always that frequency, but depending on the external and internal data widths along with the line rate, it might be a preferable frequency.

Look at the "Encoding and Clocking" tab of the GT Wizard.

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

oh, I think I get it now. Looking at the 7 series gtx transceiver guide Equation 3-1 the txusrclk rate is just the line rate over the internal data width. So, with a line rate of 3.125 GHz and a data width of 20 I should get 156.25 MHz, which I see on my scope. So, the txusrclk just depends on those two numbers and not on the input frequency. The wizard sets up pll based on input clk, line rate and data width. Does that all sound correct?

0 Kudos
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

Jump to solution

Yes, that is correct.