UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Design preservation excluding a module under development

Jump to solution

I see that Xilinx approach to reuse the implementation are the partitions. I have managed to implement a design with a black-box (partition) in the PlanAhead. Map and Place&Route have completed successfully. Now, it wants the black-box to be specified every time when I open the implementation. The question is: How do I supply it?

I see a tutorial on partial reconfiguration, where PlanAhead allocates the space for a black-box. But, I do not want any dynamic reconfiguration nor have a license for that. Is it possible to statically update a single module in the implemented design/bitstream? Is partial implementation rather than reconfiguration is supported?

I read through the "PlanAhead Tool Design Preservation Flow Steps" in Hierarchical design methodology and have no idea which partition should I preserve to preserve the whole design except single module. I see that Xilinx approach to promoting partitions does not work here since to preserve the whole design I must make it a partition and black-box child module seems also need to be a partition. This means a nested partitions, that PlanAhead refuses to create, despite I see the following example of PXML:

<Project FileVersion="1.2" Name="Example" ProjectVersion="2.0">
  <Partition Name="/top" State="implement" ImportLocation="NONE">
    <Partition Name="/top/module_A" 
       State="import" ImportLocation="/home/user/Example/export" Preserve="routing">
    </Partition>

<Partition Name="/top/module_B" State="import" ImportLocation="../export" Preserve="routing"/>
    <Partition Name="/top/module_C" State="implement" ImportLocation="../export" Preserve="placement"/>
  </Partition>
</Project>

which clearly shows that nested partitions are possible. I have highlighted module_A nested into the top and both are partitions, if you do not see this.

This accomplishes the incremental implementation.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Design preservation excluding a module under development

Jump to solution

Ok, I have discovered the secret. When you promote the partitions, you can alwasy promote the top as well,

PlanAhead-promoting.png

Then, you just import the top and implement the modified module, http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Hierarchical-Design/No-quot-Current-launch-options-quot-in-the-Implementation/m-p/334481#M796

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Design preservation excluding a module under development

Jump to solution

Ok, I have discovered the secret. When you promote the partitions, you can alwasy promote the top as well,

PlanAhead-promoting.png

Then, you just import the top and implement the modified module, http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Hierarchical-Design/No-quot-Current-launch-options-quot-in-the-Implementation/m-p/334481#M796

0 Kudos