UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie jgaydos

Dev tool needed for old K7 design?

Hi, I'm totally new to Xilinx and your tools.

My question is:  What dev tool do I need to acquire to support a Kinetix 7 application designed almost 4 yrs ago.

Background: My company has a legacy FPGA, originally designed by a 3rd party under contract in 2015, that I need to analyze and support.  I have all the project files (I think), including a readme file from the original designer that says:

"  Xilinx Kintex7 FPGA Part: xc7k70tfbg676-1
"  Tools: Linux version of PlanAhead v14.7 (64-bit) Build 321239 (Fri Sep 27 19:24:36 MDT 2013)

Website indicates that Vivado is required for 7 series.  I've tried it under the 30 day eval, but some of the project files seem to be incompatible.  Is there a way to acquire the old PlanAhead tool that is indicated above?

Any help or advise is appreciated.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

Re: Dev tool needed for old K7 design?

look like this chip was done with the ISE tool chain,

try 14.7

https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/design-tools/v2012_4---14_7.html

note, this does not run on windows 10,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Newbie jgaydos

drjohnsmith:  Thank you.

Darnit.  I knew there was a detail I forgot to include in my original post.  Unfortunately, I do need something that will run under Win10.

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Safest option is probably a Linux virtual machine plus the Linux version of ISE (since that's what was originally used). This also makes it straightforward to backup the entire setup (virtual machine with all the software installed) for future use.

0 Kudos
Newbie jgaydos

u4223374: Thank you!

Is there a recommended Linux distro and version that I should try and acquire?  Do I need to try and find a 2013 vintage Ubuntu, for example?

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

@jgaydos From the ISE 14.7 release notes:

• Red Hat Enterprise Workstation 5 (32-bit and 64-bit)
• Red Hat Enterprise Workstation 6 (32-bit and 64-bit)
• SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 (32-bit and 64-bit)

Realistically, I'd just try an old-ish Ubuntu. Ubuntu 14.04 is still being supported by Canonical (until mid-2019), and 16.04 is supported until 2021.

0 Kudos
Newbie jgaydos

Thanks again to drjohnsmith and u4223374

Following all of your advice, I eventually got ISE 14.7 running in a Linux VM,

Unfortunately, I need to revert back to my original post and question.  I guess that I do not have all of the project files I need.  I don't have a xise, ise, or npl project file for ISE to open and restore the project.  All I have is a ppr.

The original designer says that is all there is.  He says he used PlanAhead, not ISE.  But, in 14.7, it appears that PlanAhead is a tool within the ISE suite, not a standalone.

But, then I found an old PlanAhead v14.1 userguide US632 from 2103 that says, "You can use the PlanAhead tool as a stand-alone application, or launch it for specific purposes from the ISE software."

Is there maybe history of the evolution of PlanAhead here that explains what is going on?

Here is the deal.  Trying to recreate the project, the source files folder structure is like 3 sub-directory paths and like 6 sub-levels deep.  Without amaster project file to restore that structure of the original project, I foresee this being quite a trial and error process with all kids of opportunity to miss a file/path.

Is there a way to use the old ppr file with ISE?  Does it offer me any value given what I tried to explain above?

Any other advice how to approach this?

Thanks to all.

0 Kudos
Newbie jgaydos

typos corrected version...sorry, fat fingers,

Following all of your advice, I eventually got ISE 14.7 running in a Linux VM,

Unfortunately, I need to revert back to my original post and question.  I guess that I do not have all of the project files I need.  I don't have a xise, ise, or npl project file for ISE to open and restore the project.  All I have is a ppr.

The original designer says that is all there is.  He says he used PlanAhead, not ISE.  But, in 14.7, it appears that PlanAhead is a tool within the ISE suite, not a standalone.

But, then I found an old PlanAhead v14.1 userguide UG632 from 2012 that says, "You can use the PlanAhead tool as a stand-alone application, or launch it for specific purposes from the ISE software."

Is there maybe history of the evolution of PlanAhead here that explains what is going on?

Here is the deal.  Trying to recreate the project, the source files folder structure is like 3 sub-directory paths and like 6 sub-levels deep.  Without amaster project file to restore that structure of the original project, I foresee this being quite a trial and error process with all kids of opportunity to miss a file/path.

Is there a way to use the old ppr file with ISE?  Does it offer me any value given what I tried to explain above?

Any other advice how to approach this?

Thanks to all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@jgaydos, you should be able to launch PlanAhead standalone, e.g. after sourcing the necessary script in $<installation_path>/14.7/ISE_DS/ type planAhead at the command prompt:

pA.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos