UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor mloutris
Visitor

How to move a source file from a project to a folder outside of the vivado file structure? Vivado SDK 2018.2

This question was answered for a vivado 2013.4 project here 

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Methodologies-and/How-to-move-a-source-file-from-a-project-to-a-folder-outside-of/td-p/703139  

But in Vivado 2018.2 I cannot locate the option 'Add Sources'.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?
I need to clone a git project and the name of the source directory cannot be changed, so I need to relocate  where the SDK sees my source files. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Teacher xilinxacct
Teacher

Re: How to move a source file from a project to a folder outside of the vivado file structure? Vivado 2018.2

@mloutris

One way is...

Create Project
choose RTL Project (with ‘do not specify sources at this time’ unchecked)
then Add sources

Hope that helps

If so, please mark as solution accepted. Kudos also welcomed. :-)

0 Kudos
Visitor mloutris
Visitor

Re: How to move a source file from a project to a folder outside of the vivado file structure? Vivado 2018.2

What is an 'RTL' SDK application and how does it differ from a default, empty application please?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Visitor mloutris
Visitor

Also, I only see 'Create Application Project', 'Import Project', 'Tutorials', 'Whats New' and 'Web Resources'.
How does one create an 'RTL' application?

0 Kudos
Teacher xilinxacct
Teacher

Highlighted
Visitor mloutris
Visitor

I don't have the HLX edition, and this does not appear to be the SDK, but the Firmware tool, is that correct?

I am receiving the HDF file from someone else and just writing C++ applications on top of a soft core on the FPGA. 

Thank you for trying though!

-Mike

0 Kudos
Teacher xilinxacct
Teacher

@mloutris

Are you referring the Vivado HLS?

HLSproj.png

0 Kudos
Visitor mloutris
Visitor

My problem is that I am not using the firmware tool, just the SDK application, so I can't answer your question. It's 10:40pm and everyone else is gone. And the important thing is that I am working solely on the application part. 
I am trying another solution, and that is to create the application, which creates the src directory by default. 
I will clone the git repo in the same parent directory as the Xilinx SDK src directory, delete the src directory and create a symbolic link from src to the repo directory name. 
Have a good evening! 

0 Kudos
Teacher xilinxacct
Teacher

@mloutris

You mentioned writing C++... Vivado HLS let's you describe hardware in C++ like syntax... The picture shows how to add C/C++/header file to a project.

0 Kudos
Visitor mloutris
Visitor

I am guessing that you are not familiar with the SDK tool. It is a completely different application than the Firmware generation tool. 
I am sorry that I confused matters by listing Vivado, since I am really using SDK 2018.2, which is bundled with Vivado 2018.2.
I've attached a couple of screen shots below.

-Mike

Xilinx_SDK_tool.PNG
Xilinx_SDK_tool_startup.PNG
0 Kudos
Teacher xilinxacct
Teacher

@mloutris

Never heard anyone call it Vivado :-)   Just the Xilinx SDK (makes software to run on the hardware)...I guess that is what you want. And you mentioned you want to import from guthub.

import.png

Visitor mloutris
Visitor

I tried using that option earlier, but I had trouble. It was probably a mistake on my part, but since my last response, I was able to create the softlink, and the SDK is happy so I am using that and moving on for now. However, the firmware team will need to do the same thing, so we will re-visit the GIT import option at that time. 
Thank you for your patience and help! 

Have a good evening, as it is time for me to go home to get some sleep before coming back tomorrow morning.

Take care,

-Mike

0 Kudos