UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor waid75
Visitor

How to move a source file from a project to a folder outside of the vivado file structure?

Jump to solution

I have a vivado 2013.4 project and I have used the default file location for all of my HDL and IP.  I need to restructure my project to line up with other projects that place all sources in specific folders and not those defaulted to by vivado.  If browse to the source files and move them, vivado is upset that the sources are gone but I can't figure out how to tell it where they have moved to.  It would be nice if it were as simple as when you move an MP3 and your player needs an update to the file location.  The right click replace file feature is not selectable (dimmed out) when the file is moved.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How to move a source file from a project to a folder outside of the vivado file structure?

Jump to solution

First off, I'd archive the project before you change things around, so you have a known local source working copy.

After this:

1. remove all of the sources from the project, don't delete them from disk

2. Move the sources to where you want them.

3. Add the sources back in via Add Sources, and make sure the "copy sources into project" options is not selected/checked.

4. you should be set.

If you wanted to use the replace source, you'd need to copy the sources instead of moving them, so you still have a valid source to perform the change on, but this could get messy.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How to move a source file from a project to a folder outside of the vivado file structure?

Jump to solution

First off, I'd archive the project before you change things around, so you have a known local source working copy.

After this:

1. remove all of the sources from the project, don't delete them from disk

2. Move the sources to where you want them.

3. Add the sources back in via Add Sources, and make sure the "copy sources into project" options is not selected/checked.

4. you should be set.

If you wanted to use the replace source, you'd need to copy the sources instead of moving them, so you still have a valid source to perform the change on, but this could get messy.

0 Kudos
Visitor waid75
Visitor

Jump to solution

Great thanks.  So all the configuration of the IP will remain in tact or will I have to reconfigure those parts.

0 Kudos
Visitor mloutris
Visitor

Jump to solution

I am using Vivado 2018.2 and I cannot find the 'Add Sources' option. Can someone please explain how to access it?

0 Kudos