UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

ICAP vs HWICAP

Good day guys (and gals)

I have a couple of questions regarding ICAP and HWICAP, if someone can maybe assist in answering.

To start my journey toward reconfiguring, I started with the PlanAhead tutorial (UG743). After finishing it, I was capable to reconfigure the ML507 development board using iMPACT. I then moved onto trying to reconfigure the FPGA using the embedded PowerPC. As I My initial impression was that HWICAP is used by the embedded processor to reconfigure the FPGA via the ICAP instantiated on the FPGA. While working through UG 744, I saw something I didn't truly understand.

UG 744.

I was under the impression that HWICAP is used to reconfigure the FPGA via the ICAP instantiated on the FPGA. Thus should these two devices be connected. However, UG744 only used HWICAP to reconfigure the FPGA. Why is that? Is ICAP only used for reconfiguration without an embedded processor? If not, what is it used for?

Another thing I saw from UG 744, is that the reconfiguration is done using the bit-files stored on the compact flash. Is it possible to reconfigure from other memory spaces as well? If so, which are available for this?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: ICAP vs HWICAP

r,

ICAP is the hardware block in the FPGA device. HWICAp is the c program (software) AND the ICAP block (hardware) for use in embedded systems (when you have a processor).

An example of using the ICAP (hardware) all by itself, would be to instantiate it in your RTL, and check the CRC_Error pin and switch to a redundant module, or trigger a reconfiguration.
Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks Austin for the reply. So, in order for me to reconfigure via the PowerPC, I need to instantiate the ICAP in the FPGA and add xps_hwicap to the bus? So, adding the HWICAP in the EDK, in a way only adds the driver required to reconfigure? If that is the case, I see that the ICAP IP core has both input and output ports. To what should I connect the input port?

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Sorry for semi hi-jacking my own post. I know it is a bit off-topic, but I instantiated the ICAP module on the FPGA and added the HWICAP to the processor bus. I should add that the ICAP module is not yet connected to anything, so I guess ISE will  remove it from the design. In any case, I synthesized the design, which worked as expected. However, I got an NgdBuiltdL605 error stating that logical block could not be resolved during Implementation flow. Can anyone explain why this is? I'm thinking that this might be because I should use PlanAhead for the rest of the flow. Is my assumption correct?

0 Kudos

Can you please post the document that you used for partial reconfiguration using power pc. I'm struggling to get the material but unable to find yet.

Thanks,
Mangala

0 Kudos