Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rodrigomelo9
Observer
Observer

MMCME4 with ZHOLD does not drive sequential IO

Jump to solution

Hi. I generated an MMCM4_ADV instantiation with the Clock Wizard (targeting a ZU9EG device), where the COMPENSATION parameter is assigned with "AUTO".

According to UG572:

3. The COMPENSATION attribute values are documented for informational purpose only. The Vivado tools automatically select the appropriate compensation based on circuit topology. Do not manually select a compensation value, leave the attribute at the default value.

But elaborating the design (synth_design -rtl -rtl_skip_mlo) and running report_methodology:

CLKC-22#1 Advisory
MMCME4 with ZHOLD does not drive sequential IO
The MMCME4 cell clocks/mmcm/mmcme4_adv_inst has COMPENSATION value ZHOLD, but CLKOUT0 output does not drive any sequential IO cells. It is recommended to use the MMCM without a feedback buffer and set COMPENSATION to INTERNAL.
Related violations: <none>

Is safe to ignore it? Can I solve this issue?

Regards,

Rodrigo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dsheils

HI @rodrigomelo9 

The message here shown by Vivado is really just an advisory or recommended good practice. 

ZHOLD: Indicates the MMCM is configured to provide a negative hold time at the I/O registers but your MMCM is not driving any sequential IO cells so you should be ok to let the tool decide what mode to use.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dsheils

HI @rodrigomelo9 

The message here shown by Vivado is really just an advisory or recommended good practice. 

ZHOLD: Indicates the MMCM is configured to provide a negative hold time at the I/O registers but your MMCM is not driving any sequential IO cells so you should be ok to let the tool decide what mode to use.

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos