UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor stefan_v
Visitor

Parallel SDK and Vivado ILA debug under Windows 10

Jump to solution

Hello,

when working with the Zynq7000 I got used to debugging my hard- and software in parallel using SDK for software debug and Vivado hardware manager to access my ILA cores. Both with the same Platform Cable USB II DLC10. This methodology is working fine with Windows 7 64 Bit, but it fails when I try it with my Windows 10 machine. The Xilinx driver for Platform Cable USB II seems to only support one connection, so I am able to either debug software with SDK or debug my hardware with Vivado. The problem is my project requires me to enable some AXI components by means of software and check the behavior of some others using an ILA.

The problem becomes more and more painful as the company will soon migrate all PCs from Windows 7 to Windows 10, since Microsoft announced the end of life for Windows 7.

Do you have any idea how to parallel debug software and ILAs under Windows 10 using the Platform Cable USB II? Is it possible to use the SmartLynq for this application?

Thanks in advance,

Stefan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor stefan_v
Visitor

Re: Parallel SDK and Vivado ILA debug under Windows 10

Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

by now I found a solution: My problem was not the Cable (althoug the cable still behaves a little strange with SDK only), but the problem was the SDK workspace. You must not upgrade your workspace when upgrading your Vivado version. I had to switch from 2016.3 in Windows 7 to 2017.4 in Windows 10, so the Vivado version switch came at the same time as the Windows version switch.

In my case it seemed like the bitfile, extracted from the hdf file, never got updated when updating the hdf in SDK, so every time I programmed the FPGA with SDK the "old" bitstream was loaded, which would not fit to the Vivado bitstream and every time I programmed the FPGA with Vivado the "new" bitstream would be loaded.

Recreating my workspace with Vivado 2017.4 solved my problem. Sadly I had to reconfigure all my SDK projects and no error message was displayed before.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Visitor stefan_v
Visitor

Re: Parallel SDK and Vivado ILA debug under Windows 10

Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

by now I found a solution: My problem was not the Cable (althoug the cable still behaves a little strange with SDK only), but the problem was the SDK workspace. You must not upgrade your workspace when upgrading your Vivado version. I had to switch from 2016.3 in Windows 7 to 2017.4 in Windows 10, so the Vivado version switch came at the same time as the Windows version switch.

In my case it seemed like the bitfile, extracted from the hdf file, never got updated when updating the hdf in SDK, so every time I programmed the FPGA with SDK the "old" bitstream was loaded, which would not fit to the Vivado bitstream and every time I programmed the FPGA with Vivado the "new" bitstream would be loaded.

Recreating my workspace with Vivado 2017.4 solved my problem. Sadly I had to reconfigure all my SDK projects and no error message was displayed before.

0 Kudos