Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
codewarrior1241
Observer
Observer

PlanAhead and PCIe Endpoint Clocking

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I'm using a Spartan-6 150T, and am having trouble setting up PCIe endpoint clocking... I have a 1-lane PCIe implementation, and am usinging the X0Y1 transceiver, which I selected in CoreGen. I have placed the Tx and Rx pins on the GTPA, but can't place the differential clock sys_clk! PlanAhead keeps telling me that the A10 and B10 pins on the GTPA - MGTREFCLK0P and N - are not global clock pins, and sys_clk is a global clock.

However, in my design, I have sys_clk going into a IBUFDS primitive like so:

refclk_ibuf : IBUFDS
port map
(
    O  => sys_clk_c,
    I  => sys_clk_p,
    IB => sys_clk_n
);

This was recommended in the PCIe User's Guide... IBUFDS are not global clock buffers, right? Hence, why would PlanAhead consider them global clocks? Else, how can I tell PlanAhead that this is NOT a global clock, and have it let me place the pins on the GTPA? If I don't, and put sys_clk on global clock pins elsewhere, the design fails in MAP.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
codewarrior1241
Observer
Observer

As I said above, the error WAS that I couldn't actually place PCIe clock port on the appropriate pins of the GTP.

I had figured this out though - I had a circuit that used inputted the differential signals of the PCIe clock and ran them through a IBUFDS which should be OK, and the subsequent signal clocked some of my logic, which was not OK. This forced PlanAhead to believe that the PCIe clock was actually a global clock (since that what my logic was using), and it would only let me place it on a global clock pin, not a GTP pin. When I got rid of that clock from the process sensitivity list of my logic, and replaced it with a different, known-external clock, things placed fine, and the design routed and worked.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the error you are getting from planAhead?

0 Kudos
codewarrior1241
Observer
Observer

As I said above, the error WAS that I couldn't actually place PCIe clock port on the appropriate pins of the GTP.

I had figured this out though - I had a circuit that used inputted the differential signals of the PCIe clock and ran them through a IBUFDS which should be OK, and the subsequent signal clocked some of my logic, which was not OK. This forced PlanAhead to believe that the PCIe clock was actually a global clock (since that what my logic was using), and it would only let me place it on a global clock pin, not a GTP pin. When I got rid of that clock from the process sensitivity list of my logic, and replaced it with a different, known-external clock, things placed fine, and the design routed and worked.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos