cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmzac1993

Problem initializing memory in Verilog

Jump to solution

I am trying to initilize the first 5 locations of a memory in verilog. The design works for smaller depth, but for 32 bit address it will only initialize the first element. 

I get the following warning for index 1 - 4:  select index 1 into 'mem' is out of bounds 

module DM #(parameter WL = 32, ADDRW = 32)
(input RST,
input [ADDRW-1:0] ADDR,
output [WL-1:0] DMRD);

reg [WL-1:0] mem [2**ADDRW-1:0]; 

always @ (posedge RST) begin
if (RST) begin
 mem [0] <= 32'h00000011;
 mem [1] <= 32'h0000001f;
 mem [2] <= 32'hfffffffb;
 mem [3] <= 32'hfffffffe;

mem [4] <= 32'h000000fa;
end
end

assign DMRD = mem [ADDR];

endmodule

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
markcurry
Scholar
Scholar

I suggest first reviewing the "RAM HDL Coding Techniques" section of The Vivado Synthesis User Guide (UG901).  This will help you correctly impllement a large memory such that the Vivado toolset can properly manage your code.

Second, please consider what you're asking for:

With both "WL",and "ADDRW" set to 32 as your header requests as defaults, you're asking the tool for 32x(2**32)  = 128 Gigabits of memory cells.  That's huge, and no FPGA (nor any FPGA that will be on the market for many years) will have that kind of memory on it.

I can perhaps guess, that the error you're getting may be that the tool is just running out of memory.  A better error message would be helpful, but it's definetly a possible answer for the error you are seeing.

Regards,

Mark

View solution in original post

3 Replies
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher
ignoring the verilog
how are you expecting this to work in the FPGA ?
memories can not be initialised to arbitrary values with a signal, so this would have to be made in LUT based registers,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
dror_m
Observer
Observer
memories does not have resets. you can create memory that is based on regs (and have reset) as drjohnsmith mentioned, but this is basically good for small scale memories.
so you need to think whether you need reset? if you need just one time initialization, so this is doable and the value will be written when the bit is loaded. if u must!!! have memory that u can reset, then use register based RAM.
0 Kudos
markcurry
Scholar
Scholar

I suggest first reviewing the "RAM HDL Coding Techniques" section of The Vivado Synthesis User Guide (UG901).  This will help you correctly impllement a large memory such that the Vivado toolset can properly manage your code.

Second, please consider what you're asking for:

With both "WL",and "ADDRW" set to 32 as your header requests as defaults, you're asking the tool for 32x(2**32)  = 128 Gigabits of memory cells.  That's huge, and no FPGA (nor any FPGA that will be on the market for many years) will have that kind of memory on it.

I can perhaps guess, that the error you're getting may be that the tool is just running out of memory.  A better error message would be helpful, but it's definetly a possible answer for the error you are seeing.

Regards,

Mark

View solution in original post