UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor ldm@c
Visitor

SpyGlass -> added value

Jump to solution

Hi All,

What's the added value of the SpyGlass to the Xilinx flow? How could the tool help?

What can SpyGlass do over that Vivado cannot?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: SpyGlass -> added value

Jump to solution

ldm@c,

Spyglass is a Linting Tool.

Running a Lint program over your source code, helps to ensure that source code is legible, readable, less polluted and easier to maintain. lint is a tool that is used to mark the source code with some suspicious and non-structural (may cause bug).

Yes you can run your RTL through Spyglass after simulation and before synthesis. I don't think it brings any bigger value (given the license costs for the Lint tool) to FPGA design flow.  In FPGA flow Linting tools are very less used.

They are used mostly (almost always I should say) in ASIC design flows.

7 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

First time I hear of. Apparently a "design and coding guideline checker" - Vivado has the Report Methodology, I wonder how they compare.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

ldm@c,

Spyglass is a Linting Tool.

Running a Lint program over your source code, helps to ensure that source code is legible, readable, less polluted and easier to maintain. lint is a tool that is used to mark the source code with some suspicious and non-structural (may cause bug).

Yes you can run your RTL through Spyglass after simulation and before synthesis. I don't think it brings any bigger value (given the license costs for the Lint tool) to FPGA design flow.  In FPGA flow Linting tools are very less used.

They are used mostly (almost always I should say) in ASIC design flows.

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Putting aside the cost of the tool ....

It's rediculous to say that a tool like spyglass is not important to an FPGA. Lint issues can be design bugs and your simulation environment may not catch these.

Linting tools are as important as verification to both FPGAs and ASICs.

Mike

Highlighted
Visitor ldm@c
Visitor

Jump to solution

Could you please provide an example of the RTL bug, which could be catch by SpyGlass, but not by a simulation (besides CDC)?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

One thing I can think of is if you have a equation where the RHS is bigger than the LHS. The verilog LRM allows this and will truncate the RHS. This may not be what you want and simulation may or may not catch this.

Mike

Visitor ldm@c
Visitor

Jump to solution

What is RHS and what is LHS?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

RHS - right hand side

LHS - left hand side

This is in reference to the equal sign in an equation.

Mike

0 Kudos