UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor d.grinin
Visitor

Static & Reconfigurable parts in different Vivado releases

Is it possible to compile Static & Reconfigurable parts of design in a different Vivado releases?

I have a big project prepared by another department in Vivado 2015.1. And I want to use it as a Static part of the Partial Reconfiguration workflow. This static part is never changed by our Department. Moreover, I can't upgrade it to the newer Vivado releases, because the project contains many undocumented IP cores. But I can compile this project.

Our department only works with single module inside this big Static design. And I want to make this module Reconfigurable, because I change it very often. But I also want to compile Reconfigurable versions in the latest Vivado release (currently 2018.2).

If someone knows how to do it please describe in short the sequence of steps. Is there anyone who successfully uses such a workflow?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Static & Reconfigurable parts in different Vivado releases

Firstly what you require is not an official supported flow.
Why cannot you implement all these netlist(static dcp and dynamic dcp in the 2018.2)?
I believe 2081.2 can implement your static dcp with IP generated in 2015.1.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Right. I agree with @hongh.  While we attempt to make DCPs compatible in future versions, there are times where changes to the underlying physical database (place/route data) makes them incompatible (especially from 2015.1 to present). The fact that you are adding Partial Reconfiguration flow into this adds another layer of complexity to the compatibility. However, I would expect post-synthesis DCPs and XDCs to be compatible.  

Bring the 2015.1 post-synthesis results (and any constraints) into the latest software and reimplement Static with some version of your dynamic block. Some effort may be required to close timing on this, but I would expect this Static result to be forward compatible for a couple releases at least. 

Visitor d.grinin
Visitor

As far as I know, not all IP cores fully retain functionality during the upgrade, some require reconfiguration of parameters. In fact, I've already tried this, and the design stopped working properly.

0 Kudos