UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

The best way to perform a frequency divider and obtain a resolution of 1 Hz.

Greetings ... as you can, I am a newbie in VHDL and Vivé and I would like to know the best way to make a frequency divider and obtain a range between 19.5 and 40 MHz selectable with a resolution of 1 Hz. The objective of this divider is the frequency of being able to change the transmission frequency of a HOTLink II transceiver (CYP15G0403DXB).

Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: The best way to perform a frequency divider and obtain a resolution of 1 Hz.

That datasheet says "REFCLKx jitter tolerance / Phase noise limits TBD".  Great.

The jitter requirement will determine which frequency divider architectures can be used.  I guess that the jitter requirement is tight enough to rule out simple FPGA-based divider approaches (such as a phase accumulator).

Do you need rapid frequency agility?  If not, one of the many programmable crystal oscillators would work fine.  These have a fixed frequency crystal or MEMS oscillator and a fractional-N PLL in the one package.  Several Xilinx dev boards use I2C programmable oscillators from Silicon Labs.  They would probably work for you too.

0 Kudos