UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

[VHDL] how to manage lib name depending on the design entry?

Highlighted
Observer

[VHDL] how to manage lib name depending on the design entry?

Hi All,

I want to use the different library names for the same 

Le's say I have a VHDL file with the following lines:

library mylib_1;
use     mylib_1.abc.all;

But, when I'm going to use the same file for another design, I want this library will be named differently:

library mylib_2;
use     mylib_2.abc.all;

I don't want to edit this file depending on what design this file is going to be used. 

So, how should I manage this issue? Is it possible to do this using configurations? How?

Thank you!

Re: [VHDL] how to manage lib name depending on the design entry?

Hi @dmitryl_home,

I don't really understand what is your goal for using the same library/package with a different name...

Could you give more detail why it wouldn't work with the same names? Why not keeping the names of the libraries between project? 

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Observer

The unit includes packages of functions and procedures, which should be referenced inside of the files.

For example:

library pkgs;
use     pkgs.all;

But, then I integrate the unit into the higher hierarchy, this hierarchy also has a reference to the 'pkgs' library...

So how to solve this situation (same library names in different hierarchies/files, which should actually point to the different libraries)?

Probably is it possible to manage this situation in the following manner:

library unit1_lib;
use     unit1_lib.pkgs.all; 

library unit2_lib;
use     unit2_lib.pkgs.all; 

But, how can I create a library inside of another library (e.g. library 'pkgs' inside of library 'unit1' and then a library 'pkgs' inside of library 'unit2')?

Thank you!

Explorer

Library names are global and flat at the top-level of the environment... so can't be nested.

You could compile the utility packages for a unit in the same library as the unit.   The unit just has to say "use work.all" to see all the packages.  This way, the unit doesn't care/know about it's actual library name.

So, unit1 and all its packages can be compiled into library unit1_lib.  Internally though, the unit1 code just uses "use work.all".

Other units, like unit2 can be arranged the same way.  It's own packages are in "work" .  To use unit1, it just needs to reference library unit1_lib.