Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Vivado not launching atom as an external editor

Jump to solution

I have happily been using Atom through snap as an external editor with Vivado and it has been working extremely well. However snap has been incredibly annoying to deal with as it is constantly updating and re configuring itself. I wrote a crontab job so that snap never updates atom, but recently I had an issue with an overflowing log file, which seems to have damaged various parts of my Ubuntu installation and has consequently allowed snap to update itself and delete an old version of atom! - I have manually fixed most of the other problems myself except this one. 

I have decided to get the latest version of Atom now (1.50) I previously found that Vivado only likes to launch Atom on version 1.42 through snap only, I could not get it to work any other way or on any other version since 1.42. I cannot get snap to install a specific version of atom as it tells me it is not possible. This was the command I was using before to launch atom successfully via Vivado. 

/snap/atom/250/usr/bin/atom [file name] -n[line number]

Now since I have got rid of snap, the new command I am using is: (I always run Vivado as root and don't plan to change that, therefore the no sandbox option)

/bin/atom [file name] -l [line number] --no-sandbox

According to the Vivado logs, it successfully passes the correct arguments and I can copy and paste the command it uses to launch the external editor and it opens up atom externally. However it never seems to open up Atom upon double clicking the Verilog file. 

Edit: I can see from the TCL console that when I run "exec atom or exec /usr/bin/atom" I get the following message: 

/usr/share/atom/atom: symbol lookup error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnutls.so.30: undefined symbol: __gmpz_limbs_write

Exec gedit and other system editors do indeed work. 

If anyone knows what I could try or do, please let me know ? - as this is really frustrating ! 

Best Regards, Ren

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hey Ren,

I had the same symbol lookup error, when I tried to use emacs as my external editor on Ubuntu.
I could resolve it by changing the symbolic link libgmp.so.10 in <Vivado-Install-Path>/Vivado/2020.1/lib/lnx64.o/Ubuntu which is pointing to libgmp.so.10.0.3 in the same directory to point to the system library:

cd <Vivado-Install-Path>/Vivado/2020.1/lib/lnx64.o/Ubuntu
ln -sf /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgmp.so.10 ./libgmp.so.10

I do not know which side effects this may have. Therefore no guarantees that this will not have any negative effects to Vivado or your system.
In my case I could start emas from the tcl consol and I set emacs as my external editor. Unfortunately not all emacs-plugins work when I start emacs from Vivado, including my VHDL code completion so it seems I will to have to live with a workaround and open my source files from the system. Sigh... It may be a similar problem which do not allowed emacs to start in the first place.

But maybe I could help you with your problem.

Best Regards

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hey Ren,

I had the same symbol lookup error, when I tried to use emacs as my external editor on Ubuntu.
I could resolve it by changing the symbolic link libgmp.so.10 in <Vivado-Install-Path>/Vivado/2020.1/lib/lnx64.o/Ubuntu which is pointing to libgmp.so.10.0.3 in the same directory to point to the system library:

cd <Vivado-Install-Path>/Vivado/2020.1/lib/lnx64.o/Ubuntu
ln -sf /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgmp.so.10 ./libgmp.so.10

I do not know which side effects this may have. Therefore no guarantees that this will not have any negative effects to Vivado or your system.
In my case I could start emas from the tcl consol and I set emacs as my external editor. Unfortunately not all emacs-plugins work when I start emacs from Vivado, including my VHDL code completion so it seems I will to have to live with a workaround and open my source files from the system. Sigh... It may be a similar problem which do not allowed emacs to start in the first place.

But maybe I could help you with your problem.

Best Regards

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Hey Tasse,

That fixed it thank you so much! I haven't actually been using Vivado for a while otherwise I would have been really forced to find a solution but thanks a lot. Atom works so well for Verilog, the code folding and the multiple cursor insertion is just a massive timesaver, I believe because of this and a host of other features I managed to cut down my predicted project time by at least 4 weeks. Have a good day.

Best Regards, Ren
0 Kudos