UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vivado upgrade and archive

Here’s some thoughts for Newbies on upgrading and archiving Vivado HLx RTL projects.

Upgrading:
Method#1: Many of us upgrade to a new version of Vivado by simply opening the old-Vivado project file (.xpr) with the new version of Vivado. This upgrade method often goes smoothly except for some worries about Xilinx IP. These IP worries often take the form of questions:

• Do I really need to upgrade the IP? (hint: YES) 
  • Why is my IP locked?
  • Will the new version of the IP work the same as the old version? If not, what changes have been made?

These IP worries deter some of us from upgrading Vivado as often as we should.

Method#2: I try to approach Vivado upgrades with a positive attitude, viewing it as a chance to get reacquainted with many of the project details. My Method#2 approach is more time consuming that the Method#1 approach by leaves me feeling much better about things in the end. The Method#2 approach is:

• Create a new project using the new-Vivado.
  • During creation of the new project, I import files from the old-Vivado project – being sure to check the box that says “Copy sources into project”.  
  • Specifically, I import files that I created and I do NOT import IP files. The files that I import are: 1) HDL files (in .srcs\sources_1),  2) simulation testbench files (in .srcs\sim_1), and 3) constraints files (in .srcs\constrs_1).
  • Finally, I open the old-Vivado project along side the new-Vivado project. For each IP, I reopen the configuration wizard in the old-Vivado and create the IP anew in the new-Vivado. This side-by-side comparison shows me exactly how the new-IP differs from the old-IP and allows me to deal with the differences immediately.

An added benefit of Method#2 is that it shows you all the files that are really important to your project – and where they are located in the project folders.

------------

Archiving:
We all know it is important to archive frequently during Vivado project development. Xilinx has made this easy to do with the Vivado archive tool (“File > Project > Archive..”), which creates a nice zip-file of the project.  However, the size of the archive file can be very large unless you take extra steps to remove unnecessary things from the project before launching the archive tool.  Here’s how my project archive size varied depending on what I did:

• (archive size = 50,300 KB) when I simply used “File > Project > Archive..”
    archive1.jpg
  • (archive size = 6,800 KB ) after right-clicking each IP and select “Reset Output Products..”

• (archive size = 610 KB) after manually erasing files found in the project directory, .ip_user_files

• further size reduction is possible by manually erasing the .wdb and .prj files in the project directory, .sim\sim_1\behav\xsim\.

My point is this...   Vivado upgrade Method#2 showed us that directory, .srcs, contains all the really important stuff for our project.   So, with care, we can manually delete things from other directories in the project to keep the project archive size small.

Cheers,
Mark