UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant benmishoe
Participant

can I use edf in a partial reconfig design?

Jump to solution

I've been able to adapt the partial reconfig (PR) scripts from Xilinx for my own use and it seems to be working how I want.  There's one spot I wish to improve on though, and that's in the IP cores that I use.

The scripts provide a few options for how to include these IP, based on what attribute you assign to the IP cores.  For example, I can use the 'ip' attribute on the static module and list the xci files for each IP block.  Alternatively, I can use the 'cores' attribute on the static module and list either the edf or the dcp files for each IP block.

Here's the problems with each:

Xilinx recommends not using the DCP file, because it doesn't include xdc information.

If I use the xci, it rebuilds the cores OOC, and I get a bunch of warnings that I don't want to show up in my logs.

I would prefer to use the edf, and according to what I see in the implement.tcl file from Xilinx, that should be possible.  But when I build with that, the build errors out saying it can't find the IP core.

I would summarize like this based on what I've seen work vs. not-work...

If I set the 'ip' attribute of the static code and list the xci files alongside, then the default build process adds those xci files one at a time and synthesizes after each (by doing an OOC synthesis and producing a bunch of warnings), before synthesizing the static design as a whole.

If instead I set the 'cores' attribute of the static code and list the edf files alongside, it adds all 3 files and then immediately synthesizes the static design.  It then fails saying it couldn't find the module.

In summary - does anyone have experience using the Xilinx scripts to import an edf netlist...thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: can I use edf in a partial reconfig design?

Jump to solution

Hi, @benmishoe ,

It seems that you are using non-project PR flow?

You can just synthesize the top level with wrapper for the submodule you intend to use edif file. After that you can assemble the top dcp and edif files of the submodules.

Ex: 

open_chckpoint top.dcp

update_design -cells tt1 -from_file tt1.edf

update_design -cells tt2 -from_file tt2.edf

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi, @benmishoe ,

It seems that you are using non-project PR flow?

You can just synthesize the top level with wrapper for the submodule you intend to use edif file. After that you can assemble the top dcp and edif files of the submodules.

Ex: 

open_chckpoint top.dcp

update_design -cells tt1 -from_file tt1.edf

update_design -cells tt2 -from_file tt2.edf

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Highlighted
Participant benmishoe
Participant

Jump to solution

you're right!  I actually found an AR on this.  I ended up importing the _stub file that gets created when I build my IP standalone.  If I import this alongside the edf, it works.  Thanks so much!

Here's the AR for anyone interested:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/54074.html

0 Kudos