UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

control multiple FPGAs

Hi,

I want to control multiple FPGAs. For instance, I want to set a "start" bit to 1'b1 for all designs in multiple FPGAs.

What is a good way to achieve this instead of pressing push buttons for multiple FPGAs at the same time.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

Re: control multiple FPGAs

The questions is a bit too open ended to really answer.

But lets start with the obvious basic solution - route one push-button to multiple FPGAs.  Does this meet your requirements?  If not, why?

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @markcurry,

That's actually fine. Is there any clever way to hook one FPGA's push button to another FPGA's push button?

How can I establish the connection between two FPGAs? I can't use FMC cable because I will use all the FMC slots for both FPGAs.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

I suggest to just route the single push button to multiple FPGAs on the PCB.

However, your reply implies you're using some sort of already designed board (or multiple boards?) that perhaps have some (how many?) FMC connectors.  And maybe a push button or two connected to (one of the) FPGAs.

Again, you've given us little to work with.  Yes for some sort of communication between FPGAs you need some sort of actual connection between the FPGAs.  Tell us more about your hardware setup.  

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@markcurry

Sorry. So the system looks like below.

I just wonder how to route the first FPGA's push button to second FPGA's signal.

system_2.PNG

0 Kudos
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

Are the FPGAs on the same board?  What is that connection to the PC (your black line in the diagram).  Where's the pushbutton?

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@markcurry

PC to FPGA is uart. I want to program FPGAs from PC.
Both FPGAs are VC707(virtex 7).
I was thinking about user push buttons on VC707.

0 Kudos