UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer tamasgy89
Observer

site definition - partition

Jump to solution

Hi,

I would like to know what is a site and how does it relate to slices, components, FFs, LUTs (if it does...).

I'm referring to a warning message which usually occurs when implementing with partitions:

"WARNING:Place:1178 - 938 sites were unavailable during the placement phase because they were already used by routing within preserved Partitions...
", and I don't understand from where does that number 938 come from.

Thanks in advance,

Tamas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: site definition - partition

Jump to solution

Tamas,

The sites that are unavailable are sites that are used for routing by a Partition that is being imported.  This message is useful if you run into a situation where the design will not finish routing or place.  If there is a Partition that is causing alot of sites to be unavailable, you might want to re-implemente that Partition or set the Preservation Level to synthesis which will allow minor changes in placement or routing.

I am monitoring the Hierarchical Design forum if you want to post future questions about Partitions there.

Kate

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Tamas,

In this context, a site is any location inside the device.  A site could be a Flip-Flop, LUT, MUX, DCM, BRAM, MULT18, etc.  This particular message is telling you that 938 sites were un-available for general purpose use because they exist inside of a partition region.  If you're not using all of the region blocked off by your partition, then you could make the partition region smaller to free up some of those sites for general purpose placement/routing.

-Tony 

-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Tamas,

The sites that are unavailable are sites that are used for routing by a Partition that is being imported.  This message is useful if you run into a situation where the design will not finish routing or place.  If there is a Partition that is causing alot of sites to be unavailable, you might want to re-implemente that Partition or set the Preservation Level to synthesis which will allow minor changes in placement or routing.

I am monitoring the Hierarchical Design forum if you want to post future questions about Partitions there.

Kate

0 Kudos