UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor lymanhorne
Visitor

Generate bitstream fails on inital attempt when using tcl script

I am using this tcl script to set parameters when generating a bitstream:

set_property bitstream.config.configrate        50          [get_designs checkpoint_c2c_artix_routed]
set_property bitstream.startup.startupclk       cclk        [get_designs checkpoint_c2c_artix_routed]
set_property bitstream.general.compress         true        [get_designs checkpoint_c2c_artix_routed]

This is done in the bitstream tcl.pre file.

If I click "Generate Bistream" and this requires implementation to run before generating the bitstream, I get the following error during bitstream generation:

[runtcl 1] ERROR: [Common 17-55] 'set_property' expects at least one object.
Resolution: If [get_<value>] was used to populate the object, check to make sure this command returns at least one valid object.

But if I just click "Run Implementation" and then "Generate Bitstream" after implementation finishes or if I click "Generate Bitsteam" after the error occurs, the bitstream generation completes and everything works.

Is there some way to avoid this minor but annoying issue?

I am running Vivado 2014.4 on windows 64-bit.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Generate bitstream fails on inital attempt when using tcl script

You could force open the routed checkpoint as part of the tcl.pre file, then set the properties:

open_checkpoint checkpoint_c2c_artix_routed

set_property bitstream.config.configrate        50          [get_designs checkpoint_c2c_artix_routed]
set_property bitstream.startup.startupclk       cclk        [get_designs checkpoint_c2c_artix_routed]
set_property bitstream.general.compress         true        [get_designs checkpoint_c2c_artix_routed]

Best Regards,
Randy

0 Kudos
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Hello @lymanhorne 

The error you see because the design is not opend.

add tcl command

open_run [get_designs checkpoint_c2c_artix_routed]

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Since these are XDC commands, have you considered putting this in the XDC instead? That would be the preferred mechanism instead of using the pre.tcl. This way it is managed with your design and project as well.

That said both methods should work fine..

Thanks

Duth

0 Kudos