UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I'm confused about the tools

Jump to solution
Hello to you all
Recently I did some image processing and SVM classification with opencv, all programmed in PC. Now I want to start learning about how to implement my work to the FPGA . my only experience is back in 2012 in electronic class where we programmed spartan 3e FPGA with ISE using vhdl.
A bought a Zybo board and I started looking for tutorials but i got confused from the variety of tools , do I need to learn vivado with HLs or SDsoc or the toolschain to boot Linux .... ?
Please can you clarify what is the best and the most straight forward path to take in order to achieve my goal ?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Re: I'm confused about the tools

Jump to solution

@yassinema2018

I have a Zybo and I found the HDMI-IN demo very useful.

You take the input from HDMI (from your card or HeroCam) and connect to Zybo HDMI. Then connect the Zybo VGA out to your VGA monitor. 

There is an SDK application that does a bit of image transformation. There is a step-by-step tutorial.

https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/zybo-hdmi-demo/start

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
5 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

Technically, with a Zybo you don't need any of those tools. You can program it with ISE. However, Vivado is strongly recommended for the Zynq chips, so I'd get to know that.

To make any use of the CPU you'll have to either deal with Xilinx SDK or Petalinux. SDK is easier to get started with, Petalinux is more powerful for future expansion.

You do not need to learn SDSoC at all, or HLS. However, using them may well allow you to produce better results in less time.

Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@yassinema2018

I have a Zybo and I found the HDMI-IN demo very useful.

You take the input from HDMI (from your card or HeroCam) and connect to Zybo HDMI. Then connect the Zybo VGA out to your VGA monitor. 

There is an SDK application that does a bit of image transformation. There is a step-by-step tutorial.

https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/zybo-hdmi-demo/start

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.

Jump to solution
Thank you guys I'm learning about AXI interfaces then I will try to do a small project in vivado + sdk, later I will try to understand the HDMI project
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
I saw some tutorials on opencv functions implemented in sdsoc but really I feel blind so I will tale my time learning ... No short cuts
0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@yassinema2018 Starting straight with SDSoC is sort of a jump in the dark. If you are in a big company and there are folks to cover for you then it's cool. Otherwise you rather understand the basics of the tools you are using. 

0 Kudos