UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to name probes or rename signals when running setup debug

In setting up a debug run fro Hardware Analyzer, there does not seem to be a way to name the ports.  It is a pain in the butt to open the analyzer and try to figure out what signal is which.  I know that in the viewer you can assign signals a short name, but by then its to late.  You cannot click on a signal in the analyzer and get the schematic view to see where it came from.  It would be nice to set this up when setting up the debugger, while you have the information available.  Am I missing something here?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

Re: Is there a way to name probes or rename signals when running setup debug

Asked, and ignored at least a few years ago: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Tools-Others/Vivado-Analyzer-names-and-ltx-files-and-mark-debug-attributes/td-p/664890

Every few months another user ask for this, and is ignored.  Vivado Analyzer seems to be at the bottom of the list for fixes.  It's still not up the capabilities of the product it replaced (Chipscope).  But I guess looking prettier (but less capable) is more important.

I sometimes wish Xilinx would just publish some sort of API for the debugger so we could just write / tie-in our own waveform display and trigger control.  No actually I don't - I don't have time for that.  I just want it to work, a bit better than it currently does. 

Actually if I could just run the old Chipscope Analyzer with the current FPGAs I'd be just as happy.  I was doing that for a long time (unsupported of course) in Kintex designs.  Just used the same-old ICON/ILA edf files I always used (generated circa ISE 13.3) with the latest and greatest FPGAs.  Worked fine until the JTAG enumeration stop working on the lastest FPGAs... Grrrr.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos

Is there a way to contact the moderator....

0 Kudos

Hi paul.gigliotti@coachcomm.com,

You can go for user defined probe. Please go through page-137 of https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_4/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

This is nice but, it is not what I am after, or what we need.  When I first set up debug, after synthesis, but before implementation, I want to name the probes as I add them into the design, so that when hardware manager comes up, I will easily tell what I am looking at.

0 Kudos