UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor aprashant
Visitor

NGC2EDIF conversion error

Hi..

I am trying to import big design file into planAhead. It is giving error as

[HD-DB 2] UpdateNetlist: New netlist is invalid.

In the application data folder the planAhead.log file showed the following at the end

INFO: [HD-UCFReader 1] Finished Parsing UCF File : D:\PlanAhead 10.1\RX_155_v02\RX_155_v02.data\floorplan_1\fp.ucf

Command> hdi::project startUpdate -name RX_155_v02 -file {D:\ISE_10\try21\top_rx_155.ngc}
WARN: [HD-EDIFIN 5] Could not read top design file 'D:\ISE_10\try21\top_rx_155.ngc' because ngc2edif command failed

WARN: [HD-EDIFIN 5] Could not read top design file 'D:\ISE_10\try21\top_rx_155.ngc' because ngc2edif command failed

The ngc2edif.log in the .HDI-PlanAhead-2816-x-f162a016/ngc2edif did not has any error. But the edif file seems to in-complete at the end. 

I tried to generate verilog file from ngc using netgen. It generated without any error and verilog file also looked fine.

ngdbuild also worked without any error on ngc netlist.

So, I am suspecting that there may be issue with ngc2edif.exe application. The following is version of ngc2edif

Release 10.1.03 - ngc2edif K.39 (nt)
Copyright (c) 1995-2008 Xilinx, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Reading design top_rx_155.ngc ...

Kindly help in resolving this issue

Thanks for your time and help...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Visitor strangesteve
Visitor

Re: NGC2EDIF conversion error

Did you ever figure out how to resolve the issue?  Im gettign the same error on a linux box and a winXP box. and when i try to do the converion manually:

ngc2edif system.ngc system.edn     - it looks like it goes through...

Release 10.1.03 - ngc2edif K.39 (nt)
Copyright (c) 1995-2008 Xilinx, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Reading design system.ngc ...
WARNING:NetListWriters:298 - No output is written to system.xncf, ignored.
Processing design ...
   Preping design's networks ...
   Preping design's macros ...
WARNING:NetListWriters:306 - Signal bus plb_0_SPLB_Rst<16 : 0> on block system
   is not reconstructed, because there are some missing bus signals.
WARNING:NetListWriters:306 - Signal bus plb_1_SPLB_Rst<11 : 0> on block system
   is not reconstructed, because there are some missing bus signals.
  finished :Prep
Writing EDIF netlist file system.edn ...

C:\PROJECTS\temp_mcp_PA\PA\mcp_ip>

But when i use this converted file i get the following error  - 

ERROR: [HD-EDIFN 4] Parse error on or above line 8. Edif file was not written properly by 'Xilinx ngc2edif'

-------------------

And like yourself if I have the tool (planahead) try to convert the file  - it also fails with

WARN: [HD-EDIFN 5] Could not read top design file 'C:\PROJECTS\temp_mcp_PA\PA\mcp_ip\system.ngc' because ngc2edif command failed

If anyone else has a workaround id be very happy to hear from you..

0 Kudos
Visitor aprashant
Visitor

Hi..

The issue seems to get resolved when we disable (it needs to unchecked) read cores option in synthesis properties.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I would recommend two things, if possible:

1) Please upgrade to the latest ISE installation and see if that solves your problem.  11.5 is the latest build, and very soon 12.1 will be available.

2) If #1 doesn't solve your issue, or you can't upgrade for some particular reason, you can contact technical support and they will help debug and resolve your issue:

www.xilinx.com/support

If you want to forge on on your own, try running ngc2edif standalone (outside planAhead) on the offending .ngc file and look at the generated error messages.  Those messages are also printed to the console window when you invoke PlanAhead, but it is easy to miss them as they scroll by.

There are a myriad of reasons why ngc2edif will not generate an edif file.  The most common being that the core is licensed and encrypted, hence preventing an ascii version to be extracted (the simulation netlist is/can be of limited use because it is devoid of some critical programming information).  Please note that PlanAhead 10.X and 11.X will black-box these instantiations and pass the original ngc to the downstream implementation tools (that do natively read ngc), and the flow should still work, although constraints will error out if they refernce instances inside these cores.

'Greg

Greg Daughtry
Vivado Product Marketing Director, Xilinx, Inc.
0 Kudos