UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor xpress
Visitor

Targets may be locked by another hw_server.

Hi,

I am experiencing a problem with Vivado when trying to use the platform cables.

The error I am getting is

ERROR: [Labtoolstcl 44-494] There is no active target available for server at localhost.
 Targets(s) ", jsn-DLC10-000013e2227b01jsn-DLC9-Port_#0002.Hub_#0003" may be locked by another hw_server.

I did not have this problem with Vivado until a few days ago when it happened the first time.

I get this error on all my Vivado installations (2015.2 through 2015.4), I installed 2015.4 today to see if that would help but it did not.

I can use the adapters in Chipscope for ISE without any problems on the same computer.

I have tried reinstalling Jungo.

I have tried running cleancablelock under impact in ISE.

I have tried manually terminating the hw_server process.

Before you say it, yes I have turned it off and on again, the computer that is.

I am at a loss trying to get the Platform Cables to work and I need them to do some actual work.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Re: Targets may be locked by another hw_server.

@xpress Is Impact open on your machine? chipscope analyzer? If yes please close it and give a try. 

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor xpress
Visitor

After restarting, the first thing I do is to go in to the hardware manager and click "Open Target"->"Auto Connect".

I have restarted my computer several times and it still does it, there are no other applications open when I do this.

There is some Xilinx firmware loader that does something when I plug the Platform Cables in, but I assume that is still needed?

I have no way of turning the firmware loader off if it's not needed, I can't find a relevant process to kill.

0 Kudos
Scholar pratham
Scholar

@xpress What is the status of led on platform cable? It should be green If drivers are rightly installed.

-Pratham

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Visitor xpress
Visitor

That is an untrue statement.

The LED goes orange when drivers are installed.

The LED only goes green if a target voltage is applied.

This problem is not with the hardware, Vivado clearly states that it can find the Platform Cables but they are locked.

If I open Chipscope in ISE I can use the cables without problems so it would appear that they are not really locked.

On my cables the LEDs go orange if I leave them not plugged in to the target board.

If I plug them in to the target board and power it on, the LEDs go green.

Scholar pratham
Scholar

@xpress Intention was to make sure drivers are installed, Its not entirely incorrect, Without drivers you wouldnt have seen green led even if you are connected to machine.

Did you installed any other program recently? i have seen issue where other applications were blocking the drivers

Can you try with ISE impact? Chipscope analyzer is working so i expect impact should also work but can you give a try?

-Pratham

0 Kudos
Visitor xpress
Visitor

Hi,

I have done some more investigating and I think I have found the problem.

I believe you get this error if there is no target voltage applied to the Platform Cable when doing an "Auto Connect" in Vivado.

The board I am using is quite complex and is turned on by software and I was trying to set Vivado up before turning the power supplies for the FPGA on. Apparantly this is not a valid thing to do with Vivado as it would seem to give you the locked error.

Also Vivado does not seem to play nicely when using Chipscope at the same time using a separate Platform Cable connected to a separate FPGA on the same computer, it crashes.

Regards,

Erik

0 Kudos
Scholar pratham
Scholar

@xpress Glad to know.You have said in your previous post that status led on platfrom usb cable is green which indicates

• The cable is connected to a target system • The target system is powered • The voltage on the VREF pin is ≥ +1.5V

How long you have to wait once led is green to be able to detect by vivado? in case of FPGA power i have seen clear message from vivado, havent seen drivers are locked kind of message when fpga isnt power up.

-Pratham

0 Kudos
Visitor xpress
Visitor

I said "_If_ I plug them in to the target board and power it on, the LEDs go green."

I don't have the FPGA powered up when I try to open the Platform Cables in Vivado, I expect Vivado to open the Platform Cables anyway. Impact and Chipscope will correctly open the Platform Cables without the FPGA being powered up, Vivado does not.

What wasted a day of my time was the error message which to me looks more like a software or USB problem, if Vivado were to simply state that the target is not powered up I would have solved this straight away.

Contributor
Contributor

I have faced the same issue, and have tried that as you said.

Hope Xilinx solve it.

0 Kudos
Participant xiaolin
Participant

I also face the same problem,can anyone give some suggestions?
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I'm also getting this often with 2017.3. Didn't  seem to happen with 2017.2. I'm running Windows 10 if that matters.

I say often because it doesn't happen every day or every hour. Sometimes it will find my hardware just fine, and then I'll do a build and try to download 3 minutes later and get this error. Very odd.

It is asking me to disconnect_hw_server and connect_hw_server, but this is new behavior and why should I have to do it anyway? Why can't the tool attempt it for me at least once?

0 Kudos
Observer binbinyantai
Observer

i also often have this problems . version 2017.3 .every time i need reinstall the driver can solve this problem

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Just installed Vivado 2017.4 on my Win 10 machine and I'm running into this exact same problem.   Seeing as how this problem has been around since 2015, is there anything that can be improved here?

I'm completely dead in the water now.... :(

0 Kudos
Participant erice
Participant

I get this too.

[Labtoolstcl 44-494] There is no active target available for server at localhost.
 Targets(s) ", jsn-DLC10-00001631b65601jsn1" may be locked by another hw_server.

Even though this thread is years old,  there is still no adequate answer.   In my case, restarting the PC unlocks the server.    But that is NOT AN ACCEPTABLE SOLUTION.

How can I unlock the target so I can use it?   There is no other process open at this time.   Is there a TCL command to delete all servers?     Please give us a decent solution, Xilinx.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Can someone tell me what the correct driver is for y DLC9G programmer on Windows 10?  I executed the following script as administrator:

c:\Xilinx/Vivado/2017.4/data/xicom/cable_drivers/nt64/install_drivers_wrapper.bat

and saw that my drivers installed correctly:

INFO: InstallPath="c:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.4\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\"
windrvr6 is not installed.
INFO: Installing Windows 10 pcusb driver...
Microsoft PnP Utility

Processing inf : xpcwinusb.inf
Driver package added successfully.
Published name : oem13.inf

Total attempted: 1
Number successfully imported: 1

INFO: INF file c:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.4\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\dlc10_win10\xpcwinusb.inf was successfully installed for driver.
INFO: Running digilent installer...

<<<<< Digilent Adept Runtime Setup >>>>>
Installer version: 1.4.6 release: 2015/12/08
Digilent Software Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Digilent

Your system is up-to-date with the components of this installer.
INFO: Running SmartLynq installer...
INFO: SmartLynq installed successfully

But when I go into the device manager and look at the driver being used it seems like some generic microsoft USB driver:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\winusb.sys

Is this correct?

Also I notice the directories are named dlc10_*. Does it matter that I have a DLC9G?

Thanks,

-Adam

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Finally got my Win10 system to work again with the cable.  I had to uninstall all versions of Xilinx software as well as the winusb.sys driver and revert back to Vivado 2017.2.  Vivado 2017.2 is using the Jungo driver for Win10 (windrvr6.sys) which seems to work fine with my cable. 

Looking through the Vivado 2017.4 driver install script it does look like it tries to determine just what verision of windows 10 you have. In my case though, it made a bad call and tries to use the winusb driver which didn't work.   In hind sight I prob could have hacked the script becausr 2017.4 does come with the Jungo driver as well but I didn't have that information at the time. 

I'm seriously considering switching over to a Digilent cable instead of using the Xilinx one. Something tells me it's prob a more stable solution...

Contributor
Contributor

Adventurer
Adventurer

My nightmare at every update. I find there is no need to go back to 2017.2 (that would be reason enough to move to Altera/ Intel and let them die and disappear in peace...), release 2018.2 has the windrv6.sys driver installer in:

Xilinx\Vivado\2018.2\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\dlc10_win7

Just open a command prompt with admin rights, then run install_drivers. One can previously run check_windrv6 to see if it's there or not.

0 Kudos