UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Vivado 2017.2 (and 2017.3) resets FPGA if execute open_hw_target command

Highlighted
Visitor

Vivado 2017.2 (and 2017.3) resets FPGA if execute open_hw_target command

Hi

Configuration: Vivado 2017.2, Windows7-64bit, Xilinx USB II JTAG programming cable.
FPGA board with the xcku085-flvb1760 chip. If this FPGA is programmed and I connect to FPGA thru JTAG programming cable, by executing the command in Flow Navigator:   "PROGRAM_AND_DEBUG -> Open_Target -> Auto_Connect "  this FPGA is resetting ( goes to unprogrammed state). This causes problems when debugging eg. PCIe.
Executing connecting command step by step I found the resetting FPGA is happening if execute  open_hw_target command.
Reset occurs only when first connected - the subsequent work of JTAG has no problems.

Versions of Vivado (2016.4, 2017.1) on the same computer configuration and board doesn't reset FPGA if execute the open_hw_target command. I checked two combinations of the source for loading FPGA  (onboard parallel flash and JATG)  and various combinations of power cycle and connection JTAG cable,  in any variants behavior the same. I tested this solution "set_param labtools.auto_update_hardware 0" but no any effect.

In addition, when checking a connection from Vivado 2017.1 I see that it uses hw_server 2017.2 so it seems to me that it's not about the hw_server settings.

The new version of Vivado 2017.3 is the same behavior. Resetting the FPGA after running open_hw_target.

It possible fix this?

Best regards, Roman.

Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado 2017.2 (and 2017.3) resets FPGA if execute open_hw_target command

Hi, Roman,

Seems a JPROG was issued. Check the Vivado log, is there a boot_hw_device? If there is, move it.
Otherwise, open_hw_target may trigger silently a JPROG; this is useful when you do a remote programming but not in your case.

Thanks,
Ivy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------