UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer inflector
Observer

Who determines what features go into each Vivado release?

Jump to solution

I want to speak with them. Seriously. There is a prioritization problem on the Vivado team and since I'm going to be doing a lot of work and hiring a lot of engineers who will use Vivado, it's worth my time to work to fix these issues.

The Vivado team is not fixing basic problems that cause issues for everyone and would take perhaps one day to fix. Most egregious example:

NO AUTOSAVE and NO WARNING when starting a simulation that a file has been edited but not saved.

Seriously, do the people who make these decisions ever program in Vivado? Is management not given the time to use the tools themselves? How is this not fixed? I've been there I know how these things sometimes happen. Still we'll all be better off if we can figure out how to up the polish on this tool.

It's an amazing tool in many ways; but it's missing some very basic things that are huge time wasters. Do you really want your development community to waste time?

I'm sure I've personally spent four or five hours over the last few months debugging issues I'd already fixed because of this problem, because Vivado sometimes does warn you about saving, like when you run synthesis or implementation. A few warnng boxes to save and it's easy to forget that simulation doesn't do this. Especially when you are making many changes in different files.

So it's easy to forget that VIvado doesn't have a basic feature every other IDE I have ever used in the last 20 years has.

I bet I could implement this feature never having seen the source code in less than a day. It's not that hard to add a preference item. The Vivado IDE GUI code already knows when files have changed because the little floppy disk icon does change from dim to dark blue.

Seriously, who is making the decision not to do this? Why?

There are many other examples of little things I've noticed but I don't want to clutter the board here with me bitching about things that are not great. I want to help you all fix them.

How is the Vivado management reporting hierarchy laid out? Have someone contact me, please.

I like Xilinx chips, support here is excellent, and the tools are almost awesome but missing some very basic things and I'd like to find out why. In a past life I programmed and sold software development tools, I wrote the database engine for the early Mac, the Object Pascal to C++ compiler / translator that moved most of the biggest Mac applications onto the PowerPC chips,  ran a company that delivered Enterprise software for NorTel, Synopsys, Maersk, etc. I've built IDEs from scratch, twice on Windows, once on Mac, once as a lone effort, twice as CEO / CTO of a team of 20 engineers. I've raised $20 million taking my company public. I lived in Palo Alto from 1999 to 2001.

I'm pretty connected and can get to senior management. I've worked in small teams in a peer role with the head of development for Adobe Premier, Adobe Photoshop, Slack, Eventbrite, the CEO of Splunk, former Senior VP of Staffing for Intuit, EVP of HR for SAP, among others, My good friend was CTO of Thompson Reuters and CEO of Network Solutions.

Why not have whoever is Amit Kasat's peer who runs the development group for Vivado Simulation contact me. He or she has to be pretty talented as Xilinx is a solid engineering company. I want to help.

I'd hate to have to use my contacts to reach Salil Raje and then work down to find out what is going on. I am sure he's a busy guy.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Who determines what features go into each Vivado release?

Jump to solution

By all means, go ahead,

Providing a list is appreciated of suggested changes.  Prioritized is even better....

You may email your suggestions to me:

austin@xilinx.com

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
4 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

By all means, go ahead,

Providing a list is appreciated of suggested changes.  Prioritized is even better....

You may email your suggestions to me:

austin@xilinx.com

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

There is a valid request for auto-save. We have filed bug request CR-989327.

Regards

Sikta

Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @inflector

This issue is fixed in Vivado 2017.4.

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
Observer inflector
Observer

Jump to solution

Great to hear. Thank you and kudos to the team of people who addressed this.

- Curtis

0 Kudos