UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

will Xilinx Virtual Cable (XVC) support remote debug of the ARM cores in the future?

XVC allows to use the ILA and VIO remotely by implementing XVC on a networked microcontroller.

According to this Xilinx webpage, it even allows to use MDM and debug a Microblaze remotely

Q: will Xilinx implement XVC further, and support remote debug from within SDK of the A9/A53/R5 and M1/M3 ARM cores in the future?

I came accros this post that suggests it should be possible? 

It would be great if we could implement a full-blown remote JTAG cable on a networked microcontroller that connects to the Zynq (US+) JTAG interface... (Like a SmartLynq cable)

note: guess SDK remote debug would require SRSTn pin on JTAG connector to be connected, so in the hope that XVC will someday support remote firmware debug, I'll add this pin already :-)

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: will Xilinx Virtual Cable (XVC) support remote debug of the ARM cores in the future?

Hi @ronnywebers,

You should be able to normally debug SDK with the XVC. The XVC is just a data transport method, it should offer the same features as a local cable connection (except device programming, in some cases).

So what I understand is that you basically want to build your own SmartLynq-like cable, correct? You could do that, but if that's the main motivation, it might be also easier and cheaper to buy the SmartLynq cable directly.

Please let us know more about your application.

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Re: will Xilinx Virtual Cable (XVC) support remote debug of the ARM cores in the future?

thanks @anunesgu for your reply - since a few weeks I have a SmartLynq cable for use during development.

But I want such solution to be built into my equipment, so I can program my QSPI and debug my A53 / R5 cores remotely (and by remotely I not only mean from my office to the lab next door, but also the other side of the world over the internet). For that, such 'SmartLynq' like solution needs to be soldered onto my pcb, preferably using a low cost microcontroller with an ethernet interface and some GPIO pins controlling the JTAG (optimized with a CPLD to make serialisation a bit faster), or maybe even the cheapest Zynq device :-). So I'm hoping Xilinx open-sources SmartLynq hardware and firmware for that purpose.

Also I think for full software debug, XVC also needs to control the SRST signal of the PS. As far as I can see, XVC only controls TCK, TMS, TDO and TDI

Are you sure that XVC allows to remotely debug a bare metal application running on the A53 cores, from SDK? That's not what I read in the docs ... but I'm hoping you're right of course. I started a related thread here, and got some feedback from Xilinx which more or less says it's not possible, but no one seems to be sure :-)

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos