UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Creating ZynqMP boot image that contains a boot image from another FPGA family

I'm trying to create a bare metal zynqmp application that programs an Artix-7 (via an interface to the PL).    This is on a custom board that does not currently have DRAM, so my program runs out of on-chip-memory.

I'd like to do this as a barebones application using the SDK and JTAG.   I'd like to be able to flah a QSPI image that contains ONLY the Artix-7 image, then run my program over the JTAG from the SDK, and access the QSPI memory using the xilsf_* software library.  I will feed the binary data to the firmware component, which will program the Artix with it.

I assume the way to program the QSPI is to create a image with a bif file that looks something like this:

//arch = zynqmp; split = false; format = BIN
the_ROM_image:
{
    artix_fw_image.bit
}

However, when bootgen sees the Artix-7 image, it spits out this error:

bootgen -arch zynqmp -image DCON_2019-03-13C_rxapp.bif -o BOOT.BIN
[ERROR] : Partname 7a100tfgg484 in Bit file is incompatible with Zynq MP parts

I believe the 7a number is referring to the Artix-7.  I believe bootgen is trying to save me from flashing the wrong fw image to the PL.  But I don't want to flash it... I just want it to sit passively in the QSPI until I read it with my software.

Any tips on how to convince bootgen to let me do this?

Also, second part of my question:  I have some confusion over whether I want the BIT file format to program the Artix in this way, or the BIN format.  It will be programmed over the PROGRAM_B (et al) lines, driven by the zynqmp firmware.  

0 Kudos