UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer x_abacadaba
Observer

Problem with AR# 67157 Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC: eMMC Programming Solutions

Jump to solution
Hi, I am attempting to use the method described in AR# 67157 to setup my emmc image for boot. I've run into an issue with the solution as it is posted; when I complete step "3b" and issue the command 'con' in xsdb, I never see any output in the serial console from u-boot, so I am unable to complete the rest of the steps. The output from xsdb is: "Info: Cortex-A53 #0 (target 9) Running". I do see the output in the serial console when the zynqmp_fsbl.elf is run, so I at least know that it should work as described. I've subsequently attempted to do the same steps and skip the "dow -data emmc.img 0x8000" step in order to see if I can just run u-boot and u-boot still doesn't produce output. Can anyone offer any insight as to what the issue might be with this AR? Has anyone else managed to get this to work? Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Problem with AR# 67157 Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC: eMMC Programming Solutions

Jump to solution

UG1137 on page 152 has the latest script to execute u-boot from tcl.

Also,

In most recent Vivado HW Manager releases, you can program an initial boot.bin in the eMMC using the GUI.

Can you try that?

4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

UG1137 on page 152 has the latest script to execute u-boot from tcl.

Also,

In most recent Vivado HW Manager releases, you can program an initial boot.bin in the eMMC using the GUI.

Can you try that?

Highlighted
Observer x_abacadaba
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks I'll have a look at UG1137 and post an update if it fixes the issue that I am seeing.  I did program the eMMC using HW manager however the sizes of the partitions that it defaults to are wrong for my configuration.  I'm placing rootfs on an ext4 partition so I want that partition to take up the majority of the emmc; however when I program the eMMC using hardware manager almost the entire eMMC is filled with the FAT partition.  Do you know a way to specify the sizes for the partitions that it creates?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Not really. The best approach is to create a partition and place a boot.bin+Linux image in it. Boot to Linux and then take advantage of fdisk and mkfs to create the partititon of the size and type you want.

0 Kudos
Observer x_abacadaba
Observer

Jump to solution

The process in UG1137 works for me.  I don't presently have working ethernet on this hardware which is the reason for using this method.  I like the fact that I can generate the image on the host then upload it and program it into the emmc.  Thanks for you help.

0 Kudos