UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor shyamthella
Visitor

ZC702 Uboot changes to load image.ub from SPI flash

Hi All,

I am able to flash BOOT.BIN to ZC702 spi flash using sf commands. But when I power cycle the board and try to boot it, its hanging at uboot command prompt. I believe U-boot needs some command defined to load image.ub from spi flash to RAM and execute kernel.

Can you tell me SPI address to load image.ub?
Also where should I load image.ub from flash using sf read to RAM? RAM location to read image.ub from spi flash.

Regards,

Shyam

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: ZC702 Uboot changes to load image.ub from SPI flash

If you use petalinux to generate the image, please find platform-auto.h from your project.
Then kernelstart shows the flash offset and netstart shows the load address of memory.
0 Kudos
Visitor shyamthella
Visitor

Thank you.

Can we load an extracted rootfs contents to spi flash?
I know how to use compressed rootfs fromflash using an itb file.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Xilinx tends to use .ub extension (i.e. Yocto generates the fitimage.itb or fit.itb file in deploy/images/<machine_name> directory and PetaLinux tools will rename this to image.ub while copying to <plnx-proj-root>/images/linux directory.)

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18842374/U-Boot+Images
0 Kudos
Visitor shyamthella
Visitor

Thats Okay. Iam now able to flash BOOT.BIN and my .itb file to SPI and boot it properly. I want to make changes that are made to my rootfs to be persistent over multiple boots. For this a compressed image will not help right. So I want to use extracted rootfs which is copied to SPI flash.

Will this is possible on ZC702?

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

you can boot Linux with individual Kernel image, rootfs , device tree file.
See P.45
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/ug873-zynq-ctt.pdf
0 Kudos
Visitor shyamthella
Visitor

Thanks for pointing it. But the command there says "dow -data uramdisk.image.gz 0x2000000" which is to copy a compressed ramdisk image to SPI flash. I told I want to use uncompressed ramdisk folder to be used as my file system. Is there a way to achieve this?

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos