cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

2014.1 SDK Run Error

I have a project that has been working well under 2013.4 and the application developed in SDK was launching and running as expected.  I updated the project and rebuilt the project in 2014.1 and when I went to run the application I get an error stating:

" ERROR : Unexpected error while launching program.
java.lang.NullPointerException"

I then created a new SDK project from scratch with no prexisintg SDK files and built a hello world application and got the same results.  I get this via Run or Debug.  Below the text of the log:

08:24:42 ERROR : Unexpected error while launching program.
java.lang.NullPointerException
 at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.core.XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.isFpgaConfigured(XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:293)
 at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.core.XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.launch(XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:244)
 at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.ui.XilinxAppLaunchDelegateWrapper.launch(XilinxAppLaunchDelegateWrapper.java:31)
 at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:855)
 at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:704)
 at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin.buildAndLaunch(DebugUIPlugin.java:1047)
 at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin$8.run(DebugUIPlugin.java:1251)
 at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted

Re: 2014.1 SDK Run Error

Please check your JAVA version and ensure that it is updated to the latest one. Try after updating JAVA. Also refer to the console log to see if there are any older warnings/errors while building the project. Try cleaning up the project and try.
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

I have the latest Java version (v7, update 55) and I have rebuilt the projects from scratch, including creating a new SDK import from Vivado. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Another item that is interesting is if I build a flash image and burn this image to the QuadSPI then choose to Run / Debug the SDK seems to work most of the time. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Would that be possible to create a new workspace in 2014.1 based off the XML file generated in 2013.4?

--Hem

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

That fails as well.... Same error.  It can download the BIT file but when I go run the application it fails with the same Jave NULL pointer message.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

I have exactly the same problem here. Even recreating a completely new workspace and re-exporting the hardware from vivado didn't help. I think I'll have to downgrade to 2013.4 again... :-(
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I have the same problem.

I have tested on 3 different machines: 2 windows 7 64 bits and one windows XP 32 bits.

Java version is the same (v7, update 55).

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Can you restart SDK and see if this works?

--Hem

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Similar result:

Unexpected error while launching program: null

(details >>)

Tried 2 times.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Hi,

Please enable the SDK trace and send us the below logs to understand the issue.

Enabling SDK trace

Go to Window -> Preferences -> Xilinx SDK -> Log information Level -> Log Level ->  Trace

Send us the following files.

<Workspace  dir>/SDK.log

<Workspace  dir>/.metadata/.log

Regards

Yaswanth

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I'm having the same issue when I try launching my .elf file.

The SDK trace data is attached. The metadata log is

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.jobs 4 2 2014-05-07 16:12:06.173
!MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Launching PulseTester.elf".
!STACK 0
	at com.xilinx.sdk.targetmanager.internal.TM.setHwPlatform(TM.java:394)
	at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.core.XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.launch(XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:181)
	at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.ui.XilinxAppLaunchDelegateWrapper.launch(XilinxAppLaunchDelegateWrapper.java:31)
	at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:855)
	at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:704)
	at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin.buildAndLaunch(DebugUIPlugin.java:1047)
	at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin$8.run(DebugUIPlugin.java:1251)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

The resulting error detail is:

An internal error occurred during: "Launching <myprogram>.elf".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Could you please try creating a new debug configuration.

Follow the below steps.

1. Select the desired application

2. Click on the pull down menu near debug icon from toolbar and select debug configurations.

3. Delete any unused debug configuration under Xilinx C/C++ application (GDB)

4.  Double click on Xilinx C/C++ application (GDB) to create a new configuration.

By default entries like application, hwplaftorm will be auto populated. If  no please ensure that all the required entries are selected/filled from Target Setup/ Appication tabs.

Click on debug button to proceed with launch.

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks Devivar, it works.

I find that the problem ocurs when Eclipse generates a "Run/Debug configuration", It doesn't fill "Project Name" field. Then, we have the Vivar's solution or just let Eclipse generate Run/Debug configuration and then:

1. Click on the pull down menu near run/debug icon from toolbar and select run/debug configurations.

2. Select the generated Run/Configuration.

3. Select Application tab.

4. Click on "Browse..." button corresponding to Project Name field.

5. Select Project on list, then Ok.

6. Click on Run/Debug

Simple problem, but not so easy to find.

Highlighted
Participant
Participant

This resolved my problem as well. Also, you need to make sure you application runs the initialization file (ps7_init.tcl).

John

Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Can we mark this forum post as solved? This can be used as a reference for other users.

--Hem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

The proposed solution did the trick for me as well.  Please make sure this issue gets fixed in the next release! :)

0 Kudos