UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

2018.3 SDK error "(XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-2019] bd.hwh file is empty"

I encountered this error suddenly after running "export -> hardware" to  a local SDK sub_folder.  The SDK sub-project had been working fine and this error occur after I deleted the SDK folder and rerun "export -> hardware".

Symptom:

When this error occurs, SDK will report "(XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-2019] bd.hwh file is empty", and will not proceed to generate hardware platform.  The exported HDF filesize will be small, ~1kB.

Cause of problem:

The problem seem be caused by Vivado exporting an very tiny hdf file when (and only when)  "Export to: <Local to Project>" is selected during export.  The HDF file is just 1KB in my case.  It is probably why error message is "bd.hwh file is empty".  Note that this HDF file is newly generated because I had deleted the previous copy.

Solution:

DO NOT select "Export to: <Local to Project>" during export.  I manually point to another directory and the output HDF file becomes 144kB in size.  Then I copy this HDF file into SDK sub-folder and launch SDK.  Hardware platform is generated correctly. 

*Update: I find that I have to output to a new path everytime I export or else the filesize will return to 1kB.

Hope this helps,

Neo

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: 2018.3 SDK error "(XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-2019] bd.hwh file is empty"

Hi wtneo@leica 

It seems that vivado was not exporting the right HDF file when getting the error, but in overall using the <Local to Project> option should and does work properly in 2018.3. If you still want to investigate the issue I would suggest to check the TCL command output when you export the design to SDK and check the paths of the files being exported to ensure is pointing out the right ones.

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos