Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmagina92
Visitor
Visitor

AXI DMA TKeep

Hello,

I have been looking at the PG021 v7.1, the product guide for the AXI DMA IP core. I am wondering how it handles null bytes. The DMA has the tkeep port on the AXIS bus and seems to stop working after it receives a few null bytes. There are no error messages or anything. Does anyone else have this problem? I’m wondering what the correct functionality should be?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
cmagina92
Visitor
Visitor

Using Vivado 2014.2. AXI DMA IP core V7.1
0 Kudos
siktap
Scholar
Scholar

How are you  driving tkeep? If it is tied to ground, all bytes in every beat will be treated as null bytes and effectively ignored.

Please check this.

Regards

Sikta

0 Kudos
cmagina92
Visitor
Visitor

I have it tied to ground (low). It ignores it but after a few beats the dma goes idle with tready going low and won’t come out of the idle state when valid data comes in. I did find this in the Datamover Product guide (PG022 v5.1) page 33.

"AXI DataMover does not support null bytes. (TKEEP completely deasserted)."

I know that the DMA block has the Datamover inside. Could this be the problem?

0 Kudos
siktap
Scholar
Scholar

Yes thats right. That could be the problem.

Regards

Sikta

0 Kudos
jameson.collins
Explorer
Explorer

In my testing I have found that the DMA engine will forward TKEEP from the AXIS side to WSTRB on the AXI side.  This means that all the data, including 'null bytes' will be moved from the streaming side to the memory mapped side but the forwarding of tkeep onto wstrb means that downstream devices know you wanted the data dropped.  There is a subtlety that I forgot to check and that is whether the DMA engine counts the null bytes when calculating where the next write should occur, hopefully it doesn't count them.

0 Kudos
pitzlf
Visitor
Visitor

On my opinion AXI DMA doesn't work correctly when null bytes are used as it is allowed by the AXI4-Stream specification.

When going into details, you could see AXI DMA is based on the AXI DataMover IP. For version 5.1 it's manual  mentions on page 34 some limitations for null byte handling: "AXI DataMover does not support null bytes. (TKEEP completely deasserted). A start of a streaming packet is identified by TVALID while its end is determined by TLAST. AXI DataMover does not support sparse/null TKEEP between the packet boundaries. TKEEP can be sparse only at TLAST beat. TKEEP can also be sparse at the start of a packet when DRE (unaligned transfers) is enabled."

Regards,

Florian

0 Kudos