UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer rob_baker
Observer

Adding a simple peripheral causes Microblaze to hang

I know this will sound familiar if you have read any of my previous posts but I don't have long to get this working and I haven't worked with these for very long.

I thought that adding more FSLs was creating a problem (http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/message?board.id=EDK&thread.id=2111) but it seems that adding any IP has the same effect.

I wrote a small clock divider module, tested it and imported it into a working MB project. This module requires no software and no interaction from the CPU. It is only connected to the internal system via the sys_clk_s and to an external pin.

The divider is working as I see it on my 'scope now but I can't debug when this module is present. The Bootloop is marked for BRAM initialisation and I'm putting the main program into RAM at 0x44000000, I made the recommended RAM controller modifications to get this to work in the first place (although I don't know whether this is the same issue).

Someone must have experienced this before?

EDK 9.1.02i
Spartan 3E500 Starter kit

Many thanks,

Rob

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Adding a simple peripheral causes Microblaze to hang

Hi Rob,

Never heard of this issue.

Can you post your .mhs file here?

Göran
0 Kudos
Observer rob_baker
Observer

Re: Adding a simple peripheral causes Microblaze to hang

With much rebuilding I have worked around the problem by using "mch_opb_ddr v1.00.a", the "c" and "b" revisions don't seem to work nicely with the Micron 46V32M16-6T memory device on my Spartan 3E500 RevD development board (Maybe everyone knew that but me? :D).

I still have the extra UCF entries (http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/25390.htm) and fixed clock phase shift in "PARAMETER C_CLKOUT_PHASE_SHIFT = FIXED
PARAMETER C_PHASE_SHIFT = 45".

I haven't tried a build without those in yet but it definitely does more than it was. Odd how adding a simple peripheral did this, all it done was take sys_clk_s and divide it down.

From an archived project I think this MHS was from a build that stalled on debug.

Rob

Message Edited by rob_baker on 04-23-2008 08:30 AM
0 Kudos