Advice for a PC configuration for Vitis

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a laptop with following specs:

CPUIntel 3110M
RAM4 GB (14GB virtual ram is created)
Storage250GB Samsung EVO 860 SSD SATA
GPUNvidia 710M

I have run the examples of the Vitis Software on Nimbix platform with 6 Core 64GB RAM configuration and Hardware Execution file generation lasted around 1h 20m and on my system same process lasted 3h 05m which is double the time. I want to build a system which works as the levels close to the Nimbix platform or even better if possible. Is there any benchmark related with the Vitis so that I can check how each system performs ? I read that it mostly depends on single core performance but not sure about it

Could you please guide me or provide me your system results and specs so that I could get an Idea

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
joancab
Teacher
Teacher

Any computer with an i7 at least is fine. 64 GB RAM is desirable for large designs. Cores don't matter much as the number of threads is capped at 4, I think. Equally, GPU is not used, as far as I'm aware. SSD drives are obviously faster, 250 GB probably more than enough. Check the recommendations and supported OSes in the install notes/ manual. Also bear in mind for linux development you need it on Linux.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
joancab
Teacher
Teacher

Any computer with an i7 at least is fine. 64 GB RAM is desirable for large designs. Cores don't matter much as the number of threads is capped at 4, I think. Equally, GPU is not used, as far as I'm aware. SSD drives are obviously faster, 250 GB probably more than enough. Check the recommendations and supported OSes in the install notes/ manual. Also bear in mind for linux development you need it on Linux.

View solution in original post

gmarinkovic
Explorer
Explorer
gmarinkovic
Explorer
Explorer

@keanfj421ss, @joancab 

I managed to add my performance benchmarks for various computer systems. The idea was to find a performant PC for development.

Hence you may have another look at:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Is-my-laptop-powerful-enough/m-p/1069623#M39791

Cheers

Goran

0 Kudos