UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer xilin
Observer

Block Memory - Different Utilization with Simple Dual Port (SDP) and True Dual Port (TDP)

Jump to solution

Hello,

I would like to have a True Dual Port (TDP) ram with both ports configured to be 512 x 64 (depth x width).
If I configure the ram to be in Simple Dual Port (SDP) mode only one 36K BRAM is utilized as expected (sdp.png attachment).
However, in TDP mode two 36K BRAMs are utilized (tdp.png attachment).
Since the design is low on Block RAMs I would like to know how to fix this?

Thanks for your time.

sdp.png
tdp.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Block Memory - Different Utilization with Simple Dual Port (SDP) and True Dual Port (TDP)

Jump to solution

Unfortunately that's a limitation of the 7-series block RAMs. In TDP mode, each 36K RAM can only support 36-bit width, so you need two of them to get the requested 64-bit width. In SDP mode the data width can double to 72-bit, so a single RAM is adequate.

There isn't any way to fix it. Either you modify the design to accept a thinner data bus (ie 36-bit), or you figure out a way to use SDP mode.

2 Replies
Observer xilin
Observer

Re: Block Memory - Different Utilization with Simple Dual Port (SDP) and True Dual Port (TDP)

Jump to solution

Edit:
I use Vivado 2015.4 (but this also applies to previous versions) and a Zedboard.

Links to the png attachments in high resolution.
https://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/attachments/xlnx/EDK/38699/1/sdp.png
https://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/attachments/xlnx/EDK/38699/2/tdp.png

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

Unfortunately that's a limitation of the 7-series block RAMs. In TDP mode, each 36K RAM can only support 36-bit width, so you need two of them to get the requested 64-bit width. In SDP mode the data width can double to 72-bit, so a single RAM is adequate.

There isn't any way to fix it. Either you modify the design to accept a thinner data bus (ie 36-bit), or you figure out a way to use SDP mode.