UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor rphillips
Visitor

CIP tool did not generate "drivers" in XPS 14.2

Jump to solution

I attempted today to create a custom IP module after starting a microblaze project form a new 14.2 project. At the end of the CIP wizard it gives the option to generate "drivers" for use with the SDK tool. Examining my devl folder (or any CIP folder for that matter) there were no .h or .c files generated.

Is there a way to force XPS to try again to generate these files? Or is there some precondition that I am missing for the generation of these files? Or is there somewhere i can find a generic version of these files and modify that?

I am trying to make a very simple AXI4-lite CIP with three registers for me to write to.

Thanks for your help,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mentor hgleamon1
Mentor

Re: CIP tool did not generate "drivers" in XPS 14.2

Jump to solution

The #define addresses you need will be listed in xparameters.h.

You are correct in that the IO can be handled using functions in xio.h. The functions are something like XIo_In32 (for a 32 bit read) and XIo_Out8 (for a byte write) and so on.

You should take some time to look through the Xilinx microblaze includes in your SDK project to find all of the functions that you need or may need.

Perhaps I should also add that the generic driver is as basic as it comes. In fact, I think the TCL file in the directory I gave in my previous reponse is effectively empty. You should find all of the functions you need in other, Xilinx, function definitions. Unless you have a large amount of experience in writing drivers, I wouldn't even attempt creating your own for such a peripheral (which is only register or memory writes and reads). I have had complete success with my XPS system using CIP with the generic driver.

Regards,

Howard

----------
"That which we must learn to do, we learn by doing." - Aristotle
3 Replies
Mentor hgleamon1
Mentor

Jump to solution

Check the system.mss file to see what the name of the driver for your particular IP is.

I am going to guess that it is called "generic". If it is, you have nothing to worry about and can access your registers on the AXI bus by using the addresses assigned to your IP by XPS.

If the name is not "generic", you may have to search around your computer to find a match for that name. Most drivers required for XPS use reside in the \..\EDK\sw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\drivers directory.

Regards,

Howard

----------
0 Kudos
Visitor rphillips
Visitor

Jump to solution

It is called generic. Where can i find the functions to read and write its registers? I tried diving through the bsp include and libsrc folders, but I was unable to find what I could use to talk to it.

Do i want to use the xio.h functions?

0 Kudos
Mentor hgleamon1
Mentor

Jump to solution

The #define addresses you need will be listed in xparameters.h.

You are correct in that the IO can be handled using functions in xio.h. The functions are something like XIo_In32 (for a 32 bit read) and XIo_Out8 (for a byte write) and so on.

You should take some time to look through the Xilinx microblaze includes in your SDK project to find all of the functions that you need or may need.

Perhaps I should also add that the generic driver is as basic as it comes. In fact, I think the TCL file in the directory I gave in my previous reponse is effectively empty. You should find all of the functions you need in other, Xilinx, function definitions. Unless you have a large amount of experience in writing drivers, I wouldn't even attempt creating your own for such a peripheral (which is only register or memory writes and reads). I have had complete success with my XPS system using CIP with the generic driver.

Regards,

Howard

----------