UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Can not update bitstream with processor data

Hi there, am having problems with my EDK processes in ISE.  I can implement a design no problem but when I finally double click on "Update Bitstream with Processor Data" I get the error below just before the process completes: 

Running generate for OS'es, Drivers and Libraries ...
Copying Library Files ...
ERROR:MDT - cpu () - Couldn't figure out compiler's library directory
       while executing
   "error "Couldn't figure out compiler's library directory" "" "libgen_error""
       (procedure "::sw_cpu_v1_11_b::generate" line 138)
       invoked from within
   "::sw_cpu_v1_11_b::generate 68897964"
ERROR:MDT - Error while running "generate" for processor microblaze_0...
make: *** [microblaze_0/lib/libxil.a] Error 2
ERROR:MDT - Error while running "make -f uBlaze.make init_bram"
No changes to be saved in MSS file
No changes to be saved in XMP file
ERROR: Bitstream update failed, XPS did not generate C:/Work/5_AMC_V5F10G/hw/ise/CA_V5F10G_LX110t_take1/uBlaze/implementation/download.bit

Process "XpsUpdateBitstream Process" failed

I have seen a lot of EDK errors before but never this one.  All I am trying to put in to my BRAMs is a bootloader that I created using EDK. Whats even worse is that this doesn't just happen with new projects but I am also getting this error when I try to rebuild old projects that previously worked fine.

If I take the project and bit file created on my machine and create the bitstream with BRAM data on another PC, the 'Update Processor Data with Bitstream' bit works and will generate the bit
file I am after.  However..... when I try and put this final bitstream on HW, I get an error message returned via XMD saying the the microblaze is stuck in reset suggesting that either the original bit file is corrupt or the bit file with bram data is corrupt (My resets are fine.

Weird one..

Anybody any ideas before I go through a full ISE re-install.  I am using ISE/EDK 10.1+SP3.

Cheers, gg

PS... On another note.  Can anybody tell me how to get rid of this old message (below) that appends itself every new message I post.  Its really annoying and I can't work out how to get rid of it.  I can see it in preview but can't edit it there.  :(

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Participant nc6
Participant

Re: Can not update bitstream with processor data

I am using EDK ISE 9.1i.

To add on to this question, i have one of my own. I export the project to ISE and run till Generate Programming File. and after that whenI double click the"Update Bitstream with Processor Data" (I assume it updates with software program info) it gives me the follwing warning

WARNING: there is no XPS project associated with this design.

how do i assosiate the executable.elf/ processor info with the ISE project??

when i Right click on the Update Bitstream with Processor Data on the Processes window, the properties is not selectable. the only options selectable are rerun and rerun all and there are no options to transfer the software info to ISE in the EDK "project options" menu.

Thanks.

Message Edited by nc6 on 07-15-2009 07:19 AM
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

When I add an EDK project to an ISE project I don't export the project.   First I copy the EDK project root folder into my ISE root folder (I normally create my EDK projects from within ISE and this results in the same directory structure).  I then go into the ISE menu Project ->Add Source and then add the edk_proj.xmp file from the EDK root directory, followed by doing the same thing for the edk_proj.ucf file from the edk_proj/data directory.  I don't believe you actually have to copy the EDK root directory in to your ISE root directory, just browsing to the .xmp and .ucf sources should be enough.  I just like to keep all the sources used in my projects in one place.

As I normally start off my projects using ISE, I just tried this method to double check by creating a simple edk project with a Flash, some BRAM and a gpio and uart peripheral.  I created a bootloader for the design in EDK and marked it to initialise my BRAMs so I had something to 'Update processor bitstream' with.  I then created an ISE project with nothing in it and followed the steps above. 

This worked a treat, hope it helps

good luck, gems 

PS - as far as my problems went - a full ISE re-install fixed my issues but I don't think this is the solution you are looking for and wouldn't recommed it until you've ran out of other options.

0 Kudos
Participant nc6
Participant

Thanks.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/tutorials/EDK91_PPC_Tutorial.pdf

the above tutorial explains it for PPC tutorial. while the warning didnt come inthis time, an error occured

"

Running Data2Mem  with the following command:

data2mem -bm "implementationsystem_bd" -bt "implementation system.bit" -bd "Testapp_memory executable.elf" tag microblaze_0 -o b implementation download.bit

ERROR:MDT- Data2Mem  generated errors during execution

make:*** [implementation/download.bit]  error 1

ERROR:MDT - Error while running "make -f system.make init_bram"

no changes to be saved in MSS file

no changes to be saved in XMP file

Bitstream updated with XPS data successfully, results saved as system_stub_download.bit

"

why this error any idea? or have you encountered this error before?

-Thanks

Message Edited by nc6 on 07-16-2009 08:28 AM
0 Kudos
Participant nc6
Participant

there is a seperator inbetween the foldername and the file name. this editor doesnt allow me to enter the seperator instead when i press the seperator it goes for a quick find. I am using Mozilla to post

I tried to rewrite the command in the TCL shell in the projnav. but it gives me error as follows

child killed: segmentation violation

Message Edited by nc6 on 07-16-2009 08:32 AM
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't seen this error before - is your BRAM big enough?  If I look at old designs of mine, my TestApp_Memory executable.elf file is about 30K, so if your BRAM is only set to the default size of 4K, you can see how this might cause a problem.  (Would expect the error message to explain that but its worth doing a sanity check just incase)

Also, I noticed that the process still stated 'Bitstream updated with XPS data successfully, results saved as system_stub_download.bit'. 

This suggests you are using the bitstream with XMD debugger.  Have you tried the .bit file using the debugger to see if it works or not.  I know that ISE/EDK can output a lot of errors that don't actually seem to affect the system atall.  Possibly an EDK Software -> Clean Software  and then build your projects again might get rid of this if it is something overhanging from previous design development.

gg

0 Kudos
Participant nc6
Participant

i have about 64k of bram on FPGA. also the c program itself isnt big. infact it is just a default testapp_memory program provided by Xilinx. there are no debuggers in my design. and the system_stub_download.bit when i tried to program the FPGA using it gave me Errors saying that there is no file in that file. probably the EDK/ISE is creating a filler file or a dummy file. I tried to clean the software and hardware files and redo it, however same result.
0 Kudos