UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot boot using Board pynq-z1 (only "terminal Ready" testing with picocom)

Jump to solution

Hello, i am new in embedded linux by using vivado and petalinux, i have already all User Guide to install and how to work with Vivado and Petalinux until i try to make a project using vivado and petalinux sdk 2017.4 . I made a design (zynq-7000) to test spi, so the spi from my Pynq-z1 board can communicate to CAN-BUS shield. I am using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
1. i made the design using vivado 2017.4 and used hardware manger to test the communication between Pynq-z1 and CAN-Bus shield. it works!
2. i created the new project in petalinux 2017.4 (template zynq) until i succeed build using petalinux-build command and package the BOOT.BIN file and copy it plus image.ub to my micro-sd card.
3. i put the micro-sd to my pynq-z1 Board and start to boot using picocom but the result only "terminal ready" i have already wait like hours but no result. Can anyone help me? what should i do here? i already try to make new project for several times. but the result is the same. it's already like 1 month i really need help!
Booting.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cannot boot using Board pynq-z1 (only "terminal Ready" testing with picocom)

Jump to solution
Hi @eyeray,

Great to hear that you found out that there is a specific extra "step" required for this board. Please mark you post as solution so it can be highlighted for the future.

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Cannot boot using Board pynq-z1 (only "terminal Ready" testing with picocom)

Jump to solution

Hi @eyeray 

Are you connecting the picocom to the right serial port? I don't have a pynq-z1 board myself but i.e. the ZCU102 board from xilinx has 4 serial ports in the same serial-to-USB port so the device is just printing the console output in just one of them.

Regards

Ibai
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

hi @ibaie 

thank for replying my question.

yes i am connecting to right serial port. but still cant work.

after  i try to read the UG1156 again and again i solved the problem today.

For Pnyq-Z1 its special board so i need to package boot.elf file too.

Best Regards

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Hi @eyeray,

Great to hear that you found out that there is a specific extra "step" required for this board. Please mark you post as solution so it can be highlighted for the future.

Ibai
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @ibaie 

Thanks, i already did it.

0 Kudos