Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xilinx_user9
Participant
Participant

Changing parameter after finishing BSB

Jump to solution

Hi all,

How can I change paramerers once BSB is finished. For instanc,e for and existing project if I want to change Reference clock frequency, reset polarity and so on, how do I do that ?

More generally, how can I see, easily, wich options have been select. For me, it would be logic to reopen BSB and see the selected options.

Best regards. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Glad to help.

One possible note of caution - I would be careful about doing this across versions (e.g. previous EDK 9.1i .bsb with a new EDK 9.2i BSB run - I haven't tried this but can imagine problems based on differences between the default system due to the PLB v4.6 addition, etc. Most other version changes have been much smaller in terms of their differences but it is still general guidance to proceed with caution when doing this). But in most situations, you are probably still using the same version.

This feature is very useful though - I often find this to be a quick way to regenerate a derivative project with almost the same settings. Or it can be a convenient way to remind yourself of the initial settings you used on a project. In the latter case, you would simply create a new temporary project, import the .bsb, scroll through the wizard screens to look at the settings, but not necessarily have to actually generate the project.

Also, I believe the option to save the .bsb is the default, so it should available for usage, unless you had explicitly disabled this.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
yoshio_kashiwagi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The feature of BSB only creates the base system of an EDK project, edit by BSB

cannot be performed again. If you are creating the system for MicroBlaze, it will

change by the following ways.
1. System Clock
(1) clock_generater of a main window is right-clicked and ConfigureIP is chosen.
(2) The output clock connected to sys_clk_s is chosen from Outputs in a Basic tab.
(3) The parameter of Required frequency is changed.
2.  Polarity of Reset
(1) proc_sys_reset of a main window is right-clicked and ConfigureIP is chosen.
(2) The truth of External Reset Active High of a User tab is set as a signal by 1 or 0.
These modification is only editing the system.mhs file from GUI, you can also change

a direct system.mhs file. A system.mhs file can be edited in double-clicking the MHS

file of ProjectFile of the Project tab of Project Information Area.
A system.ucf file is edited about pin assignment or constraint.

Best Regards,

Yoshio Kashiwagi - Nissin Systems

0 Kudos
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Another option (assuming you had the BSB wizard save the .bsb file for the first project) would be to:

-rerun BSB for a new project

-load the existing bsb from the first project (which fills in the settings for the first project here) - this is an option on the 2nd screen of the wizard

-modify the settings as appropriate (e.g. reset polarity, clock frequency, etc.)

-when the wizard is complete, add your files (e.g. source code for applications) as appropriate from your first project

Or you could do it the way Yoshio suggested.

Cheers,

bt

== edit

to clarify my post...

-BSB only generates the initial project. It cannot modify a project once it has been generated. But you can use an existing project's settings (.bsb) to have BSB create a new project and modify these settings prior to its actual creation (e.g. using an existing project as a baseline for modifications). Slight distinction - but this can be very useful if you are not comfortable changing certain things. Keep in mind that it does this based on the original bsb file and not any subsequent changes you made to the project though.

Message Edited by timpe on 05-18-2008 03:29 AM
0 Kudos
yoshio_kashiwagi
Contributor
Contributor

Timpe-san,

I appreciate your follow-up.
I have not noticed the way of using .bsb file until now.
You've given me an idea.

Best Regards,

Yoshio Kashiwagi - Nissin Systems

0 Kudos
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Glad to help.

One possible note of caution - I would be careful about doing this across versions (e.g. previous EDK 9.1i .bsb with a new EDK 9.2i BSB run - I haven't tried this but can imagine problems based on differences between the default system due to the PLB v4.6 addition, etc. Most other version changes have been much smaller in terms of their differences but it is still general guidance to proceed with caution when doing this). But in most situations, you are probably still using the same version.

This feature is very useful though - I often find this to be a quick way to regenerate a derivative project with almost the same settings. Or it can be a convenient way to remind yourself of the initial settings you used on a project. In the latter case, you would simply create a new temporary project, import the .bsb, scroll through the wizard screens to look at the settings, but not necessarily have to actually generate the project.

Also, I believe the option to save the .bsb is the default, so it should available for usage, unless you had explicitly disabled this.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos