cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Compilation Error in SDK with FreeRTOS example applications (Zynq)

Jump to solution

Hi,

in SDK if I try to create a new application project with the FreeRTOS from the examples ("FreeRTOS Hello word"  or "FreeRTOS Echo Sever" ) some errors appear during compilations, both for application and bsp.

The errors are the following (C/C++ Problems):
cannot find -lfreertos "name_app"
make: *** ["name_app".elf] Error 1 "name_app"  
make[1]: *** [libs] Error 2 "name_app"_bsp 
make[2]: *** [standalone_libs] Error 1 "name_app"_bsp 

version used: Xilinx System Edition 2017.3
RTOS: FeeRTOS901 Xilinx

I tried to reinstall Vivado suite (2017.3) but nothing changed.
But in another Vivado version (2019.1) the issue was not happening.

Best,
G.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Compilation Error in SDK with FreeRTOS example applications (Zynq)

Jump to solution

Hello zanuso@kth.se 

There is a difference between your log and my log. In your log, the directory path contains spaces. It seems to be affected by other tools' environment variables, etc.

- Your log -

899 "Compiling standalone"

902 CreateProcess(C:\Xilinx\SDK\2017.3\gnu\aarch32\nt\gcc-arm-none-eabi\bin\arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe,arm-none-eabi-gcc -O2 -c -mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra -I./. -I../../../include _exit.c _open.c _sbrk.c abort.c close.c errno.c fcntl.c fstat.c getpid.c inbyte.c isatty.c kill.c lseek.c open.c outbyte.c print.c putnum.c read.c sbrk.c sleep.c unlink.c usleep.c vectors.c write.c xil_assert.c xil_cache.c xil_exception.c xil_io.c xil_mem.c xil_misc_psreset_api.c xil_mmu.c xil_printf.c xil_testcache.c xil_testio.c xil_testmem.c xl2cc_counter.c xplatform_info.c xpm_counter.c xtime_l.c asm_vectors.S boot.S cpu_init.S translation_table.S xil-crt0.S,...)

905 CreateProcess(C:\Xilinx\SDK\2017.3\gnu\aarch32\nt\gcc-arm-none-eabi\bin\arm-none-eabi-ar.exe,arm-none-eabi-ar -r ../../../lib/C:\Program Files (x86)\4DSP\4FM Core Development Kit\Libs;C:\Program Files (x86)\4DSP\FMC Board Support Package\Libs *.o,...)

907 arm-none-eabi-ar: ../../../lib/C:\Program: Invalid argument

909 make[2]: *** [standalone_libs] Fel 1

- My log -

902 CreateProcess(C:\Xilinx\SDK\2017.3\gnu\aarch32\nt\gcc-arm-none-eabi\bin\arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe,arm-none-eabi-gcc -O2 -c -mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra -I./. -I../../../include _exit.c _open.c _sbrk.c abort.c close.c errno.c fcntl.c fstat.c getpid.c inbyte.c isatty.c kill.c lseek.c open.c outbyte.c print.c putnum.c read.c sbrk.c sleep.c unlink.c usleep.c vectors.c write.c xil_assert.c xil_cache.c xil_exception.c xil_io.c xil_mem.c xil_misc_psreset_api.c xil_mmu.c xil_printf.c xil_testcache.c xil_testio.c xil_testmem.c xl2cc_counter.c xplatform_info.c xpm_counter.c xtime_l.c asm_vectors.S boot.S cpu_init.S translation_table.S xil-crt0.S,...)

905 CreateProcess(C:\Xilinx\SDK\2017.3\gnu\aarch32\nt\gcc-arm-none-eabi\bin\arm-none-eabi-ar.exe,arm-none-eabi-ar -r ../../../lib/libxil.a *.o,...)

Thank you
Ka2ki
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello zanuso@kth.se 

I can compile it without any problems using 2017.3.

Capture.PNG

What kind of operation and flow have you executed?

Capture.PNG

Thank you
Ka2ki

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Katsuki,

this is the flow I have followed.
1) New-> application project (with the parameters in the figure below).

2) I use the example Hello World RTOS

3) and here is the error.

I am afraid it has something to do with environmental variables.

Best,

Giovanni

Xilinx_new_project.PNG
Xilinx_HelloWorld.PNG
Xilinx_Errors.PNG
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello zanuso@kth.se 

What about case of standalone baremetal and ZC702 pre-defined HW?

Capture.PNG

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

that case works fine.
The issue appear only when I try to use the RTOS, with any HW (the predefined or my configuration)

Best,

Giovanni

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello zanuso@kth.se 

If you check the differences between 2017.3 and 2019.1 for project properties, you may find the cause.

Capture.PNG

Thank you
Ka2ki

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

I tried to look at all settings. Couldn't find a difference.
The only thing is that in SDK ver 2019.2 the FreeRTOS is version 10.3 while in SDK ver 2017.3 the FreeRTOS is version 9.1.

Best,

Giovanni 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello zanuso@kth.se 

I may repeat Try&Error. Click the "bash shell" icon in the XSDK.

Capture.PNG

You can use command "cd" to go to the BSP directory and use command "which" to see where the "make" and "gcc" are.

I believe the "gcc" is placed in a given path, as shown below.

You can also see your PC's environment variables by the command "env".

Capture2.PNG

Then try to build the bsp with the command "make".

Could you please attach the console log?

Thank you
Ka2ki

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Katsuki,

so here there are the logs requested.

C:\...\20200403_SynchroProject_v2.sdk\HelloWorldRTOS_bsp>ls
Makefile ps7_cortexa9_1 system.mss

C:\...\20200403_SynchroProject_v2\20200403_SynchroProject_v2.sdk\HelloWorldRTOS_bsp>which make
C:\Xilinx\SDK\2017.3\gnuwin\bin\make.EXE

C:\...\20200403_SynchroProject_v2.sdk\HelloWorldRTOS_bsp>which arm-none-eabi-gcc
C:\Xilinx\SDK\2017.3\gnu\aarch32\nt\gcc-arm-none-eabi\bin\arm-none-eabi-gcc.EXE

C:\...\20200403_SynchroProject_v2.sdk\HelloWorldRTOS_bsp>which arm-none-eabi-ar
C:\Xilinx\SDK\2017.3\gnu\aarch32\nt\gcc-arm-none-eabi\bin\arm-none-eabi-ar.EXE

C:\A\...\20200403_SynchroProject_v2.sdk\HelloWorldRTOS_bsp>make
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/coresightps_dcc_v1_4/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/coresightps_dcc_v1_4/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/cpu_cortexa9_v2_5/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/cpu_cortexa9_v2_5/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/ddrps_v1_0/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/ddrps_v1_0/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/devcfg_v3_5/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/devcfg_v3_5/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/dmaps_v2_3/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/dmaps_v2_3/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/emacps_v3_5/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/emacps_v3_5/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/freertos901_xilinx_v1_1/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/freertos901_xilinx_v1_1/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"include"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/gpio_v4_3/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/gpio_v4_3/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/iicps_v3_5/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/iicps_v3_5/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/llfifo_v5_2/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/llfifo_v5_2/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/qspips_v3_4/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/qspips_v3_4/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/scugic_v3_8/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/scugic_v3_8/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/scutimer_v2_1/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/scutimer_v2_1/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/scuwdt_v2_1/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/scuwdt_v2_1/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/sdps_v3_3/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/sdps_v3_3/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/ttcps_v3_4/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/ttcps_v3_4/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/uartps_v3_4/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/uartps_v3_4/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/wdtps_v3_0/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/wdtps_v3_0/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make include in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/xadcps_v2_2/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/xadcps_v2_2/src -s include "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Running Make libs in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/coresightps_dcc_v1_4/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/coresightps_dcc_v1_4/src -s libs "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Compiling coresightps_dcc"
"Running Make libs in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/cpu_cortexa9_v2_5/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/cpu_cortexa9_v2_5/src -s libs "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Compiling cpu_cortexa9"
"Running Make libs in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/ddrps_v1_0/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/ddrps_v1_0/src -s libs "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Compiling ddrps"
"Running Make libs in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/devcfg_v3_5/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/devcfg_v3_5/src -s libs "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Compiling devcfg"
"Running Make libs in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/dmaps_v2_3/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/dmaps_v2_3/src -s libs "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Compiling dmaps"
"Running Make libs in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/emacps_v3_5/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/emacps_v3_5/src -s libs "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Compiling emacps"
"Running Make libs in ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/freertos901_xilinx_v1_1/src"
make -C ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/freertos901_xilinx_v1_1/src -s libs "SHELL=CMD" "COMPILER=arm-none-eabi-gcc" "ARCHIVER=arm-none-eabi-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS= -O2 -c" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -nostartfiles -Wall -Wextra"
"Compiling standalone"
arm-none-eabi-ar: ../../../lib/C:\Program: Invalid argument
make[2]: *** [standalone_libs] Fel 1
make[1]: *** [libs] Fel 2
make: *** [ps7_cortexa9_1/libsrc/freertos901_xilinx_v1_1/src/make.libs] Fel 2

Note: "Fel" stands for "Error".

Best,
Giovanni

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello zanuso@kth.se 

Please add an option to the make command.

There will be a lot of messages, so please save the text file and attach it.

make --debug=j

Thank you
Ka2ki

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

I did as you asked.
There are some responses from the system in Swedish language.
I didn't manage to change the system settings to have them in English.
I hope it is clear anyways, otherwise I can provide translation.

Best,

Giovanni

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello zanuso@kth.se 

There is a difference between your log and my log. In your log, the directory path contains spaces. It seems to be affected by other tools' environment variables, etc.

- Your log -

905 CreateProcess(C:\Xilinx\SDK\2017.3\gnu\aarch32\nt\gcc-arm-none-eabi\bin\arm-none-eabi-ar.exe,arm-none-eabi-ar -r ../../../lib/C:\Program Files (x86)\4DSP\4FM Core Development Kit\Libs;C:\Program Files (x86)\4DSP\FMC Board Support Package\Libs *.o,...)

907 arm-none-eabi-ar: ../../../lib/C:\Program: Invalid argument

909 make[2]: *** [standalone_libs] Fel 1

- My log -

905 CreateProcess(C:\Xilinx\SDK\2017.3\gnu\aarch32\nt\gcc-arm-none-eabi\bin\arm-none-eabi-ar.exe,arm-none-eabi-ar -r ../../../lib/libxil.a *.o,...)

Thank you
Ka2ki

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

I removed those environmental variables with the space in their path, and now everything works in Vivado 2017.3!

Still I don't get why these environmental variable paths were not creating an issue in the other versions of Vivado I have installed (2019.1).

Best,

Giovanni

Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello zanuso@kth.se 

We believe that we have solved it through a series of improvements.

It is highly recommended that you use the new version if at all possible.

Regards,

0 Kudos