Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Connecting AXI Interrupt Controller to Processing System on Zynq

Jump to solution

Hey,

I'm working on a Zynq-7000 FPGA (Zedboard). I'm trying to access a SD card via SPI. In order to do that, I added an AXI SPI Interface (axi_spi) and an AXI Interrupt Controller (axi_intc) to my XPS design. I do not have any trouble connecting the axi_spi interrupt signal to the input signal of the axi_intc.

I also seem to be able to connect the "Irq" output port of the axi_intc to the "IRQ_F2P" port of the PS. But XPS keeps telling me that "(BUS_IF) INTERRUPT" of axi_intc is not connected. There doesn't seem to be a way to connect it though, except to make it external. Screenshot:
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7739/xpserror.jpg

Another problem occurs when I try to connect the "Processor_clk" port of axi_intc. It doesn't matter which clock I'm connecting it to, I always get the same error message:

ERROR:EDK - axi_intc_0 (axi_intc) - can't read "mb_clk": no such variable

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Versions:
EDK: 14.3
LogiCORE IP AXI INTC: 1.03a
LogiCORE IP AXI SPI: 1.02a

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Connecting AXI Interrupt Controller to Processing System on Zynq

Jump to solution

Normally, you would connect your interrupts to seperate inputs of the IRQ_F2P and use the interrupt controller within the PS.

But, you can architect a system using the axi_intc between the irq sources and the PS.

look at the user guide for the axi_intc. the BUS_IF INTERRUPT is ment to connect multiple signals to a Microblaze in order to use Microblazes fast interrupt feature.

So it's fine that the line BUS_IF shows that it isn't connected becase you are not connecting the interrupt bus to a microblaze.

You should only use the Irq port and not the processor_clk or processor_rst since you are not connecting and using the fast interrupts of microblaze.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Normally, you would connect your interrupts to seperate inputs of the IRQ_F2P and use the interrupt controller within the PS.

But, you can architect a system using the axi_intc between the irq sources and the PS.

look at the user guide for the axi_intc. the BUS_IF INTERRUPT is ment to connect multiple signals to a Microblaze in order to use Microblazes fast interrupt feature.

So it's fine that the line BUS_IF shows that it isn't connected becase you are not connecting the interrupt bus to a microblaze.

You should only use the Irq port and not the processor_clk or processor_rst since you are not connecting and using the fast interrupts of microblaze.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you for your quick and clarifying response, all issues are resolved!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi 

INTC_WARNING:: IRQ is not connected to Processor.

ERROR:EDK - axi_intc_0 (axi_intc) - can't read "mb_clk": no such variable

The previous error still happens even though I'm connecting the same clock for both the processor and the AXI INTC core, as you can see in the attached pdf.

So, I just wonder whan  am I doind wrong ?

Best regards,

Snaider

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

The warning is expected since the axi_intc is looking for microblaze and not the PS during the drc.

The error is because the mb_clk (Processor_clk) is part of the fast interrupt logic when using a microblaze to service the interrupts. Since you are not using microblaze, keep this pin unconnected. Also, do not connect the 'Processor_rst' port for the same reason.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hey 

I want know if the  axi_intc is compatible with bus Axi burst. 

Cordially. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hey Xilinx johnmcd

I doproject with zedboard I add my own ip I want test the interrupt with my own ip have the messages after the generate the netlist INTC_WARNING:: IRQ is not connected to Processor. like warnings. Unfortunately when I test my application with the xsdk the function handler does'nt call when pin change status. 

Do you can help me ? 

COrdially. 

hope.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have created a simple Zedboard project with a custom AXI IP wiht interrupt. This interrupt is connected to port F2P_IRQ on the GIC. I then exported to SDK, and created a simple IP test.

The custom IP is the one used in AR51138

Open the project in SDK 14.5, and program the FPGA. Run the application and monitor the serial port (baud, 115200).

you should see:

51138.png

Note: The interrupt is caused internally in the custom IP every 15 seconds or so, depending on the clock driving the IP.

For any help here, see the AR 51138

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am using axi_spi_0 component to interface the PS with PL on the Zedboard and I want to know do I need to use an interrupt controller or not. If i dont use the interrupt controller what do I connect my IP2INTC_Irpt port to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

0 Kudos