Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Counting Microblaze Cycles: PLB Peripherals No Longer Function

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I apologise if this question has been asked before. I am using EDK 13.2.

I have a dual microblaze system - with each microblaze connected to separate PLB buses, and the microblaze are successfully communicating with each other over FSL links.

The first microblaze reads and writes to a PLB connected memory, and starts its process when it obtains a flag over the FSL. The goal of the second microblaze is to monitor: 1. the total number of cycles the first microblaze takes to perform its application code, 2. the number of read cycles, 3. the number of write cycles.

A timer was created on the PLB of the monitoring microblaze, and using the MHS file, the DPLB_M_request and DPLB_M_RNW lines were exposed on the microbaze to be monitored using:

PORT DPLB_M_Request = M_request

PORT DPLB_M_RNW = M_RNW

I had initially written those lines using an unconnected statement, but when they showed up in the GUI, signals M_RNW had shown up. I believed that these were the lines they were already attached to, and so I left them connected to these, and "hooked them up" within the GUI flow to two input ports on my timer peripheral, created from the timer's MPD file.

However, in doing this, my microblaze to be monitored no longer was able to read and write to its PLB connected BRAM, or write to the UART also on the PLB.

My belief is that I "stole" these lines from its rightful place being connected on the PLB...but I am open to suggestions. My question would therefore be along the lines of: how do you separately "tap", or connect a microblaze port to multiple connections in the MHS, so that it understands that it should go to both places? Please note that I created the port instances within the microblaze (in MHS) and these signals were not present, but were instead part of a single bus grouping statement...

The MHS file has been attached for your perusal. Many thanks for any efforts in diagnosing the problem. 

-Azim.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Okay, apparently my issue stems from my own misconception.

Solved it by showing all of the port signals using the GUI (apparently I didn't untick the bus filter checkbox, and so I was always looking at the default subset of ports available -- equal to the ports shown in the MHS...) and connecting directly to the generated port interconnection signals stemming from the PLB and Microblaze.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Okay, apparently my issue stems from my own misconception.

Solved it by showing all of the port signals using the GUI (apparently I didn't untick the bus filter checkbox, and so I was always looking at the default subset of ports available -- equal to the ports shown in the MHS...) and connecting directly to the generated port interconnection signals stemming from the PLB and Microblaze.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos