UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer ramonal
Observer

Create a platform for Avnet Development-KIT-4VFX12LC with Xilinx Virtex 4

Hi!

I use the Hardware Avnet Development Kit 4VFX12LC with the FPGA Virtex 4 FX12 and Software ISE 11.1 embedded Version (including EDK, Plan ahaed...)

I never programmed an FPGA before and I need it to be done as soon as possible, because I need it in a Control plant.

If somebody can help me with that I would be very very grateful.

I already programmed the souce code with impulse C. For my implementation I only need one connection for a AD-Converter and a second for a DA-Converter. That means I need one input port and one output port, that's all.

I also startet with EDK and configured the platform with the specific FPGA, Power Processor, Debug I/F : FPGAJTAG, On Chip memory 16 kB now I don't know how to go on.

So, if anyone has examples for that board or anything else I would be glad about.

Thank you very much, if there is someone,

greetings Ramona

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Create a platform for Avnet Development-KIT-4VFX12LC with Xilinx Virtex 4

Hello.

In order to program the FPGA you need to connect a downloading cable between PC and BOARD.

Downloading cable can be either Parallel IV or USB.

After connecting it open Impact tool for downloading.

Cancel the "iMPACT Project" window.

Double click the "boundary scan" option in the FLOWS window.

Right click on the boundary scan window and select "initialize chain".

If your cable is correctly placed then a chain will be shown showing devices in chain.

Right click on FPGA device in chain and browse to the bit file (*.bit) you have to download in your project. 

Once you assign bit file to FPGA device right click on it and select PROGRAM.

After that in all the windows keep everything at default and just press OK.

Rest the tool will do it for you. 

Best of luck.
--
Unlimited in my Limits.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Avnet has designs posted for this board at the Avnet Design Resource Center.  You can get to this board at:

www.em.avnet.com/virtex4fx-lc-evl

Then click Support Files & Downloads.

Designs haven't been updated to 11.1, but you may still find some useful information.

Bryan

0 Kudos
Observer ramonal
Observer

Thank you very much for your help.

I had a look at the posted designs but I got problems because of the EDK Version.

Now I already generated a bitstream and downloaded the bitstream with EDK 11.1 

My problem now is, when I launch XMD I only get the JTAG configuration and no PowerPC405 Processor Configuration. In the attached text file the xbash.exe is copied.

Thanks again for your help

0 Kudos