Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Debug Linux Applications using XSDK 2013.4 over JTAG

Hello,

I am currently working with an AES-MMP-7z045-G Development board from Avnet.  I have successfully built a custom hardware design in Vivado 2013.4.  I've managed to get a customized Petalinux Image built and flashed on the board and all seems to be working.

PetaLinux version 2013.10, but am using an updated xlnx-lnx kernel (tag xilinx-v2013.4) and an updated device_tree BSP (located in PetaLinux edk_user_repository) from Xilinx's git tree.

We are now at the point of trying to debug some simple Linux Applications using the XSDK 2013.4.  I was able to successfully setup a debug environment using the Xilinx System Debugger when Ethernet is connected, but we are just using this evaluation board to do preliminary design until our customized board to fabricated.  Our customized board will only have a JTAG connection.

The reason for this post is to determine if there is a way to debug Linux applications using only a JTAG connection through XSDK 2013.4 using either the Xilinx System Debugger or GDB.

Any help would be appreciated,
Patrick
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Patrick,

Can you check the following link:-

http://www.xilinx.com/training/zynq/how-to-debug-a-linux-application-using-xilinx-sdk.htm

--Hem

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I've done the steps outlined in the video, as I said, I have successfully debugged Linux appplcations over Ethernet.  The problem that I am facing is that the customized board we are making doesn't have Ethernet due to PCB size constraints.  I was asking if System Debugger or some other debugger works over JTAG cable, since the debug configurations type used in the video requires the hostname/IP of the target which a JTAG connection doesn't provide.

0 Kudos