UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging IIC signals with Chipscope

If I just instantiate the XPS IIC core in my design and don't connect it to any other IIC compatible device (just to a Chipscope ILA core), like this:

BEGIN xps_iic

PARAMETER INSTANCE = xps_iic_0

PARAMETER HW_VER = 2.00.a

PARAMETER C_BASEADDR = 0x81600000

PARAMETER C_HIGHADDR = 0x8160ffff

BUS_INTERFACE SPLB = plb0

PORT Scl = xps_iic_0_Scl

PORT Sda = xps_iic_0_Sda

PORT Scl_O = xps_iic_0_Scl_O_to_chipscope_ila_0

PORT Sda_O = xps_iic_0_Sda_O_to_chipscope_ila_0

END

And in my code I keep doing XIic_MasterSend in an infinite loop (Just trying to see whether I observe the xps_iic_0_Scl master clock signal in Chipscope, so I can proceed) , should I be able to view the master clock (16,384 samples, 100MHz clock, I keep re-buffering the scope)? Note please that I haven't connected any other IIC device. What I observe is constant 0 on xps_iic_0_Scl and xps_iic_0_Sda signals. I have seen the I2C bus electrical description (The open Collector/Drain stuff) but I am still unable to decide where the problem lies. Processor runs at 100MHz also. Please help. Thank you for reading.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Debugging IIC signals with Chipscope

SCL_o and SDA_o are not the right signals to be probed. They will always be "0" as you observed. And that's because it's open drain. Instead, you should probe _T, which is used to switch on/off the tri-state output buffer.

When _T is high, the output buffer will be closed and the line will be pulled high by the external pullup resistor. When _T is low, the output buffer will be open and then the value of _O will be placed on the line.

-Felix

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor sachinm1984
Visitor

I was having a similar problem. I was using ILA using Core Inserter and connecting I2C_SCK_I and I2C_SDA_I signals to it. ChipScope showed them always to be ground.
Now I have added ILA in EDK itself and have connected _T signals to it. I am getting toggling on the SCK, but the data on SDA is not what I am expecting.
0 Kudos

I did probe the _T signals. They are both high, even though I keep sending some garbage data on the bus for verification in my C code in a loop. Wonder whats the reason?
0 Kudos