cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Designing and running dual processor sytem on xilinx edk.

I have designed a dual processor system on Virtes-5 ML 507 board using PowerPC440 and Microblaze processors. While running the sample programs on the board the xmd for one processor cannot be opened if the xmd console for other processor is running.But without running both processors i cannot see the output on the terminals.

error edk : 1304 AR# 38209 - 12.3 EDK - Failed to load XMD option file: etc\xmd ppc 440 0.opt

ERROR:EDK:2970 - -- Error in XMD Initialization

This is the error message shown on the console when i try to open xmd of 2nd processor.

P.S.-

I have been following the steps given in the document

"Dual Processor Reference Design Suite...Author: Vasanth Asokan"(XAPP996 (v1.3) October 6, 2008)

Any help as to how to resolve this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi

check in the etc folder to check if there is a opt file or not relating to XMD.

if this does not work, try to use SDK to connect to the processor.

which version of XPS are you using?

--hem

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

i'm using xpS realease version 14.7.

i checked previously,the 2 xmd's are also not opening from sdk.

is there an alternative?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi,

what you can try doing here is to try launching xmd in the command line. to do this go to SDK --> Launch shell --> type the command "xmd". This will connect to the processor via xmd console.

--hem

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos

Hi,

You don't need two XMD running at the same time. One XMD can connect to mutiprocessors.

You just have to switch target in XMD using commands.

Could you try the debugging programs in multi processor environment steps mentioned in page 154 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/est_rm.pdf.

Regards

Praveen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi,

what you can try doing is as follows:-

1. launch xmd from EDK launch shell prompt.

2. type the following command to download the bitstream "fpga -f download.bit". Do navigate to this location using DOS prompt commnads

3. type connect mb mdm to connect to the microblaze

4. type connect ppc hw to connect to PPC440.

--hem

0 Kudos