UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Do I need to install vivado/sdk on ubuntu just to create boot image

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have zcu102 EVM and I've generated board design and created application project using vivado and sdk (2018.2) in windows 10. 

Now I want to create the boot image. It seems petalinux is required. I have a separate ubuntu PC and I installed petalinux on it.

Could I just grab the output .elf and .hdl file generated from sdk in windows, put it in unbuntu in order to generate boot image?

The reason I ask is that I don't want to create the project again in ubuntu since I have had a working one in windows10.

Another concern is that I have one vivado license installed on windows10. I don't want to install another one on ubuntu. 

I tried using virtualbox in windows but the network didn't work since we are in a company network.

I'm new to petalinux, any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Regards,

Michelle

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Do I need to install vivado/sdk on ubuntu just to create boot image

Jump to solution

If your design has a bit file, you can include it in boot image by clicking on 'Add' button at the bottom of the wizard, and then point to the file, and set the destination device to PL

You need PMU if you use power management features. For example, if you enable cpu_idle feature in Linux, it will use PMU to power down the cores dynamically

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Jump to solution

If you just want to create the boot image, you just need bootgen, so you would need xsdk

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@stephenm ,

Do you mean that I don't need petalinux for boot image generation? Only Xilinx SDK is enough?

According to https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_3/ug1209-embedded-design-tutorial.pdf and some other documents, to generate boot image to use for SD card or QSPI, I'll need the following images for bootgen:

fsbl, uboot, pmu, b131....

It seems pmu and uboot image needs to be generated using petalinux. 

My program is running on R5, what's the minimum required installation on ubuntu platform for generating those images?

Thanks!

Regards,

Michelle

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @michelle,

If you're not booting Linux, you dont need u-boot, bl31, etc. Since you have already created baremetal app in SDK, you can create boot image by right-clicking on the app, and selecting create boot image option. You need to create fsbl app for the same processor core, before creating the boot image. FSBL will be included in the boot image

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@sadanan ,

That's helpful to know I don't need uboot.

I was also checking this link:

https://www.xilinx.com/html_docs/xilinx2018_2/SDK_Doc/SDK_tasks/task_creatingabootimage.html

It's showing only fsbl and elf of application project are needed for boot image generation. Why not include *.bit file? Is the *.bit included as part of the application project?

I also created pmu, do I need to include that?

Another related question is when I generated boot.bin file, how can I write it to a SD card? From https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841655/Prepare+Boot+Medium#PrepareBootMedium-InputFilesRequired

It seems that linux is required and SD card is partitioned. Is there a way to use windows or XSDK to write to SD card?

Thanks!

Regards,

Michelle

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

If your design has a bit file, you can include it in boot image by clicking on 'Add' button at the bottom of the wizard, and then point to the file, and set the destination device to PL

You need PMU if you use power management features. For example, if you enable cpu_idle feature in Linux, it will use PMU to power down the cores dynamically

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@sadanan ,

I created the boot image, but as I use "Program Flash", the program stuck at step sf prob 0 0 0.

I also tried to copy to SD card, upon power up, uart terminal shows "Xilinx Zynq MP First Sta", then stuck. 

Here's how I created the boot image, let me know what might be wrong here:

I have zcu102_dptx folder for application project, corresponding zcu102_dptx_bsp setting is modified to include the following: xilffs xilsecure xilpmbsp.JPG

Next, I created fsbl project, change the processor to psu_cortexr5_0 to be consistent with my project, and use existing bsp: zcu102_dptx_bsp.

Next generate the boot image, bootgen.JPG

fsbl file is set to bootloader, the other two are datafile. Also both fsbl and zcu102_dptx.elf destination CPU is R5_0.

dptxelf.JPGfsbl.JPG

When using SD card power up (SW6[4:1] is set to SD mode off, off off, on), the LED status is shown below:

SD_LED.jpg

I also copied the zcu102_dptx projet system.hdf here. 

hdf.JPG

Could you let me know which step is wrong here?

Thanks and Regards,

Michelle

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

It turns out that the issue is related to the new ZCU102 with new DDR4 DIMM change. I am aware of the change when generating board design in vivado, but didn't realize fsbl is also impacted. I'll need 2018.3 to generate fsbl instead.

I'll set the thread to be solved.

Thanks!

Regards,

Michelle

0 Kudos