UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor amituttam
Visitor

Do we need to use MicroBlaze with xps_ethernetlite?

Hi,

Is it necessary to use an embedded processor like MicroBlaze for use with xps_ethernetlite? Can I simply buffer the packets in flash memory and read it from there using SPI? I understand this will be quite slow but that is ok.

Thanks,
Amit
Message Edited by amituttam on 03-20-2009 12:19 PM
Message Edited by amituttam on 03-20-2009 12:19 PM
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Visitor ruffellda
Visitor

Re: Do we need to use MicroBlaze with xps_ethernetlite?

Is there a reason you don't want to use Microblaze?  If you wanted to do a "manual" process you might be better using the lite version in ISE.

0 Kudos
Visitor amituttam
Visitor

Re: Do we need to use MicroBlaze with xps_ethernetlite?

Thanks for the reply. A couple of things:

1. The reason I wanted to use xps_ethernetlite was that it was under a BSD license (if I'm not mistaken).

2. I am using an external processor already. An ARM that interfaces with the FPGA using SPI. So that is why I wanted to avoid using microblaze. Now, I understand that there is Xilinx Trimac, which is probably better suited for standalone correct?

Amit
0 Kudos
Visitor ruffellda
Visitor

Re: Do we need to use MicroBlaze with xps_Ethernet?

I would think that if you don't want to use Microblaze than EDK/SDK would be a waste of time.  If you did want to use EDK/SDK it doesn't take a lot of space and it could be useful for passing info and controlling the Ethernet core.
0 Kudos
Visitor amituttam
Visitor

ruffellda wrote:
I would think that if you don't want to use Microblaze than EDK/SDK would be a waste of time.  If you did want to use EDK/SDK it doesn't take a lot of space and it could be useful for passing info and controlling the Ethernet core.

If I go ahead and use Microblaze to control the ethernet core then I will have to control Microblaze using the ARM processor. Then what would be the interface between the ARM processor and Microblaze? I guess I will have to develop a custom control module and this might be more complex.

0 Kudos
Visitor ruffellda
Visitor

Just use the Microblaze processor as a state machine to controll the flow for the Ethernet core.
0 Kudos
Visitor ruffellda
Visitor

Why don't you use the ARM processor for the Ethernet?  Most ARM chips have the hardware included.
0 Kudos
Visitor amituttam
Visitor

The specific ARM processor I'm using is a TI OMAP3530. This doesn't have Ethernet so that's why I thought to use an FPGA instead. I've always wanted to develop using an FPGA so this is the perfect task.

Your previous post indicated using the MicroBlaze processor as a state machine. That's a good idea. I will look into how this needs to be done.

I've reading a bit on the Xilinx TriMac core and it says that the bus interface it uses is "Locallink." I'm guessing this means that I can use my own interface to it correct? Also, do you know the difference between xps_ethernet and opb_ethernet?

Thanks again for your responses.

Amit 
0 Kudos
Visitor ruffellda
Visitor

If you want the simple method get a new ARM chip that has Ethernet, it will be a lot simpler.  If you want to learn Xilinx and you are using EDK/SDK then use the core that it comes with.  There are a lot of examples you can get.  OPB is outdated has moved to PLB in 10.1.  Get a development board that has Ethernet in the project that is already developed for it.
0 Kudos