Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Download EDK project in Xilinx Platform Flash Memory

Hello everybody

I have EDK project running in ML403 board and It contains PowerPC. I wanna to download my  system onto board's Platform flash memory so that I can reprogram -after repower on- my FPGA from This Flash Memory whithout connecting the board to my PC again.

Please can you guide me for tutorial which describe this feature because every tutorial I found describe only how to download the software file (ELF file) only. But I need to download both system bit file (download.bit) and  the software file (ELF). and how can I connect them so that the ELF file run automatically.

Thank you in adance. You're very kind.

Best Regards.
Hamzah A. Abdel-Aziz
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

The proper method for doing this is through an ACE (ELF + BIT) file:

ftp://ftp.xilinx.com/pub/documentation/misc/system_ace.pdf

-Jason

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your submission

But I wanna to generate the appropriate files for Platform Flash Memory not for FlashACF which you concern.

What about generate ELF and Bit to MCS. 

Thanks

Best Regards.
Hamzah A. Abdel-Aziz
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello.

I hope you know bootloading in EDK. Moving on from here...

In bootloading the penultimate step just to the last step is the programming of FLASH with the ELF file.

Once thats successful we update our bitstream with the bootloader generated as the last step.

Then we download this inside FPGA and then the bootloader reads data from FLASH and executes from external RAM, SRAM or SDRAM.

This is the only downloading we have to do manually, so if we generate the .mcs file corresponding to this .bit file and burn a PROM then we don't have to do even this much also.

Data is permanently there in FLASH and PROM will download bitstream in FPGA so in such a case i think that everything will start-up at power on.

Above stuff i haven't tried but just thought of it.

Best of luck.
--
Unlimited in my Limits.
0 Kudos